Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Butler Creek caarbon fiber barrel. Haven't been very impressed yet. I have tried match and standard ammo, even the expensive Federal Gold Medal. It really doesn't shoot anything very well. Also I have had problems with misfires since going to this barrel. The factory barrel shot without a problem. Any suggestions for fixes or should I just go ahead and get a Volquartsen.

By the way the factory barrel shot as good as the new barrel.:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum steve. Since you already have the butler creek barrel, why don't we try a couple things before buying another.

Are you using a sandbag, or bench rest to shoot? It is important to seperate the human element as much as possible to really find out how the rifle shoots. A good scope is also more accurate than the iron sights.

A Volquartsen match hammer kit will give you a very smooth 2 1/2 # trigger, all drop in parts about $31. Will do much to eliminate flyers.

The thing about the carbon fiber barrel, is it is more sensitive to anything exerting pressure on the barrel. By freefloating the barrel it will shoot better. You didn't mention if you have a sporter, or bull carbon fiber barrel? If you have the sporter barrel, try shooting with out the barrel band, and free floating the barrel. You should be able to slide a business card under the barrel to the v block. 2 cards is even better.
Bedding your stock will tighten your groups and get rid of flyers.

For your misfiring problem, I have a couple of questions. Which barrel do you have? Is there a misfire because of a light pin strike?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the heavy bull barrel with tri port compensator. The stock is a Hogue overmolded model. I have installed a volquartsen trigger kit. I shoot for groups with a sandbag rest under the forearm and the buttstock. I do not have an aftermarket firing pin.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since the only thing that has changed is the barrel, are you sure it sits correctly in the v-block? No play? Nice and tight?

TheGermanGuy :sniper:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
As I said I would free float the barrel, and bed the stock for starters for the accuracy problem.

The std. firing pin is fine, what I'm wondering when it misfires is there a round in the chamber, or is there a lite firing pin strike? Look at the case rim. Two different problems, causing mifires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a round in the chamber, firing pin strike looks light, but on rounds that fire the firing pin strike looks normal.

I will try and free float the barrel. Thanks for all the advice so far.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Also, alot of problems accur when the gun isn't cleaned properly, but I'm sure you've already done that, right?

TheGermanGuy :sniper:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Steve

I am new to this board , But I do know 10/22's and the reason why you are having accuracy problems with your 10/22 is infact the barrel its self . The carbon Fiber barrel you have is notoriuss
for terable accuracy ,They are in fact not even carbon fiber ,they are plastic .
Get rid of that barrel and your problems will be solved , The BC steel barrels are pretty decent from what I have heard ,Cleark is a good one , Green mountain is better and VQ is about the best .
Good luck

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum BCboy. My thinking was since Steve has already spent the bucks for the barrel, it wouldn't hurt ro try a couple of things to see if it helps, before buying another. I agree the carbon fiber barrel wouldn't be my first choice, but I know a couple of guys that are happy with theirs.

Steve, from your description of of the light pin strikes, it sounds like the round isn't seated all the way. Two things come to mind is: a dirty chamber, or an old and weak Recoil spring. Have you had had your 10/22 long, or fired thousands of rounds? I would give the chamber a good cleaning, If that didn't get it you might try a new recoil spring, unless your gun is fairly new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have cleaned the barrel. The reciever is has a little age on it, but the factory barrel works. I will try to check that the barrel is seated properly.

I am in the process of making shims to free float the barrel.

If all this doesn't work I will try a different barrel. I like the weight savings of the Carbon ( Plastic ) barrel. I guess I will spring for the VQ version.

One other thing I thought of is that I have a recoil buffer pin that is plastic coated. Could that cause any problems?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Steve, the chamber is what really needs the good cleaning. Pull the barrel, and use a brush, with solvent in the chamber area.

Free floating the barrel is removing stock material using a dowel rod, and sandpaper till you can easily slide a business card under the barrel all the way to the V block (for your barrel, I'd use 2 cards). Shiming the barrel is done after "if needed" to change the barrel harmonics. Here is a link that explains it better than I can. Check out these links: http://riflestocks.tripod.com/floating.html
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/index.html
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/1022bedding.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts