Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to sell my pre-ban Colt AR15 6700 competition HBAR and get a smaller Bushmaster 16 incher. What is the difference in A2 and A3 sights plus is the heavier barrel more accurate than the funky looking M4 barrel? I'm not a competition shooter, will be using it for close shots on coyotes I call in. Thanks

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I'm probably going to sell my pre-ban Colt AR15 6700 competition HBAR and get a smaller Bushmaster 16 incher. What is the difference in A2 and A3 sights plus is the heavier barrel more accurate than the funky looking M4 barrel? I'm not a competition shooter, will be using it for close shots on coyotes I call in. Thanks
I prefer the 20" barreled Bushmaster for accuracy BUT I have a very good friend who is a very competitive shooter (F-Class @ 600-1000 yards) that owns both a Bushmaster Varminter and a Bushmaster A3 16" barreled rifles. He hunts coyotes a large part of the year here in the coast range and usually takes his 16" barreled rifle on the hunts. He is pretty successful in getting 'yotes so without ever seeing his rifle put to paper it must be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have a Bushmaster 11.5" HBAR , it shoots more accurate then the regular 16" barrels and stays cooler for continuous accuracy.

i fired numerous AR15s i liked the 11.5" HBAR with 5.5" flash hider the best for accuracy , i dont know why the 11.5" barrel is more accurate then the 16" barrel but the 20" barrel is only good for longer ranges , i would prefer the HBAR in any barrel length.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a 20 inch HBAR bushmaster that is very accurate. The thing handles like a truck though and it is in the shop rightnow to be reprophiled. I do not believe that the heavy barrel helps with accuracy but does run cooler. I would go with a pencil weight as they are known to be just as accurate but much lighter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hbar does play a part in keeping it accurate , when the barrel starts to heat up the accuracy starts to drop the groups open up, same thing happens to the Mini-14 with the spaghetti thin barrel when it heats up .

the new Mini-14 target rifle with heavier barrel is more accurate then the regular mini, same thing plays a big role with the Bushmaster HBAR over the spaghetti thin barrels.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I disagree. The mini barrel is a joke even compared to a pencil barrel. If you research this over at ar15.com or m4carbine.net you will be told the same thing HBAR does nothing to improve accuracy and infact is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell a rifle with less machine work involved. The M16A1 had a pencil barrel. Most A1 style ar-15 rifles are tack drivers. The market backs this up. An HBAR upper is worth less money than a pencil weight or government weight. The weight difference is considerable aswell. In my opinion stoner designed a great rifle. Few changes have been made that were an improvement. He used the pencil weight barrel in the original design. There is only one reason I can see for going with an HBAR over a gov prophile and that would invlove a beta-c mag and a bypod. (poor mans saw). Ofcourse this all goes out the window if you talking about a stainless NM barrel.

·
Registered
759 Posts
They all start out as heavy barrels. They are tourned down on a lathe to desired prophile. Obviously the HBAR is easier/ cheaper to produce. This does'nt make it junk just handles like an m14 with out the 308.

·
Registered
200 Posts
it also absorbs some of the recoil with the extra weight formt he HBAR which makes quick follow up shots with tight groups.

HBARS put more muscle on the arms , feels like the gun is filled with cement. I prefer a HBAR cuz it gives me better balance while in a standing position and helps reduce the recoil,helps me fire faster follow up shots.

Heavy Barrels help the .50BMG Rifles ,Imagine if you put a lightweight barrel on a .50 BMG you be flying on your ass after every shot, it helps absorb the punishing recoil.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
it also absorbs some of the recoil with the extra weight from the HBAR which makes quick follow up shots with tight groups.

HBARS put more muscle on the arms, feels like the gun is filled with cement. I prefer a HBAR cuz it gives me better balance while in a standing position and helps reduce the recoil, helps me fire faster follow up shots.

Heavy Barrels help the .50BMG Rifles. Imagine if you put a lightweight barrel on a .50 BMG you be flying on your ass after every shot, it helps absorb the punishing recoil.
What recoil? I can see someone complaining about the .308's recoil, but the .223? :rolleyes: My .223 AR's barrel isn't even threaded. I have no problem with double taps.

Jim

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hbars can easily be more accurate. To say that they are no more accurate then a pencil barrel is totally false. A cheap Hbar may not be better then a good standard barrel, but try telling competitive shooters they wasted time and money on a Hbar. My Hbar RRA will out shoot any AR15 with a standard barrel. I'm talking sub .75 MOA. My 20" Hbar Bushmaster is almost as good. Just because it's a Hbar doesn't mean that someone got cheap with the manufacturing process.
There are plenty of articles on the internet about harmonics, barrel flex, vibration and so on. A good Hbar addresses these issuses.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hbar guns ARE much more accurate than guns with lighter barrels! IF you spend the money and get a good one. Hbars with chrome linings are a waste of money, the chrome lining will affect accuracy but make the barrel eaiser to clean. They do heat up slower than a skinny profile, but they also take longer to cool down! The shorter and thicker the barrel the better. The bullet is in the bore for less time with a short barrel, so there is less time for the vibrations to affect the bullet. Add thickness to this and you get less vibration. I have a NM gun with a krieger 20 in 1/7.7 twist stainless barrel that wil shoot 77 SMK's in to less than 1" at 200 yards (with scope attached for load work up). Pricey but worth the money for what I do with the gun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was told that HBARS do absorb the vibrations better then thinner barrels, which is what they are designed for aborbing heat and vibrations.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Consider keeping the Colt and buying another complete upper , BCG & CH ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
19 Posts
my pencil barrel is just as accurat as any HBAR.

but after shooting it alot, and it starts to get hot, it will verticle strng the shots.

but im a slow round shooter, so its not a problemn , for a hunting rifle. [and thats what it is], its VERY nice n' light, and super accurate.

i'ed much rather pack around a super lightweight highly accurate rifle, than a steel section of railroad track, like an HBAR.

just my .0000000000002 cents worth.

peabody

·
Registered
289 Posts
my pencil barrel is just as accurat as any HBAR.

but after shooting it alot, and it starts to get hot, it will verticle strng the shots.

but im a slow round shooter, so its not a problemn , for a hunting rifle. [and thats what it is], its VERY nice n' light, and super accurate.

i'ed much rather pack around a super lightweight highly accurate rifle, than a steel section of railroad track, like an HBAR.

just my .0000000000002 cents worth.

peabody
I have a 24" SS bull barrel upper . Talk about HEAVY !

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
289 Posts
bull barrel ? 24 incher ? sheesh.....?!?!?!
i bet it IS HEAVY !!!

peabody
I only carry it from the house to the truck . Then from the truck to the bench at the range . And back again .

I wish I had a place to hunt prairie dogs . This AR has very little barrel jump . It would have very fast target re-acquisition , shot after shot after shot .......

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hbars can easily be more accurate. To say that they are no more accurate then a pencil barrel is totally false. A cheap Hbar may not be better then a good standard barrel, but try telling competitive shooters they wasted time and money on a Hbar. Just because it's a Hbar doesn't mean that someone got cheap with the manufacturing process.
There are plenty of articles on the internet about harmonics, barrel flex, vibration and so on. A good Hbar addresses these issuses.
^^^This^^^

1 - 20 of 24 Posts