Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am certainly no expert on the laws and you should read the "Can I put this legally on my Mini" post next to this one.
But the issues I see are a foward mounted pistol grip and an overall length issue.
I know in Cali either of those are killers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can get a bullpup stock from Muzzlelite, also known as MWG, and it is legal to install on either a preban or postban gun. Once the gun is fitted with the bullpup stock, the overall length is still slightly over the BATF 26" minimum. I just looked in the latest copy of the SGN, and Forrest, Inc is still advertising them for $79.50 + $10 for s/h. They're phone number is 888-372-5968. I have one installed on my 10/22, and it makes for a quick handling, compact rifle, here is a pic of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just didn't want that to count as a forward mounted pistol grip. Are semi-automatic versions of the "assault weapons" legal? Like say I had a semi auto AK74 or some such. Or a semi auto FAL or L1A1.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Semi auto versions of "assult rifles" are legal if built to BATF compliance (appropriate US parts count), but it also depends on if you live in (Ie, no preban style guns in Cali)...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on moving to VT when I start my luthery career. Is it legal to completely manufacture your own rifle excepting, maybe the barrel? What about class III weapons, is that a federal liscense, or can anyone just buy one as per any rifle in VT.

Also, Is Boston's Gun Bible a goood book?

What about Ragnar Benson's Action Encyclopedias or Living of the land in city or country?

Claire Wolfe's books?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dude, you need a lawyer.

A lawyer who isn't biased against guns, who will actually read what the laws say, and knows how the courts are ruling.

If you want to walk in the gray area, prepare to pay big lawyer's fees.

Each and every little innocent gun law puts us in jeopardy. It's time to start purging gun laws from the books!

Are you with me? Let's Roll!

KC

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I asked an attorney once, why law makers write the laws so vague, he said, "That's easy; it's so when they go before the court, no matter which side the attorney is on, he can argue that side. If the law were simply written, and specific to the issue, there would be no hearing, no argument, and no attorneys." Makes sense to me. If you remember, several years back the insurance policies were written the same way, so the laymen could not understand it. When a heavy claim came in the insurance co. attorneys argued, and won in court. The policy holder got nothing! They finally passed, a law that the policy's had to be written simply, for the laymen to understand. Their way arround it was to write all the exclusions in very very small print, and to raise the rates to cover more claims. Can't win for loosen!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've tried that, Mo, Ark, La, and dang it dem woods is full of dem laws too!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Regarding;
Bullpup stock is available...
You can get a bullpup stock from Muzzlelite, also known as MWG, and it is legal to install on either a preban or postban gun. Once the gun is fitted with the bullpup stock, the overall length is still slightly over the BATF 26" minimum. I just looked in the latest copy of the SGN, and Forrest, Inc is still advertising them for $79.50 + $10 for s/h. They're phone number is 888-372-5968. I have one installed on my 10/22, and it makes for a quick handling, compact rifle, here is a pic of it.

I called the kind people at forrest they are mail order only and have no problem sending to a california address. So it must be legal in your state. We lead the way in oppressive laws ya -no!
:usa:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Ivan -
They may send it to california, but that don't make it legal. In Calif one death feature is a "less than 30 inches" rule. BATF may say 26 but cali will do you 4 better!
:( :trooper: :mad: :beer: :beer: :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the muzzelite bullpup stock for my mini-30. It has a few advantages and a few disadvantages. I ended up taking it off a few days after putting it on.

Advantages:
1. It's really cool looking, handy, and short.
2. It has cheap stock sights (not really good), but you can add a weaver type site (I had a nice Holographic red dot).

Disadvantages:
1. It's completely plastic. I wondered if it the reciever would shoot loose after a time (meaning that stock mounted scope/site won't stay lined up with barrel).
2. The trigger is a plastic, foot long rod that pushes on the original trigger. Terrible unless you have a trigger job on original rifle.
3. If you can find a reliable hi cap mag, 20 rounders are probably the largest that will fit -at least on the mini-30 (the curved magazine hits the grip upon insertion.
4. Disassembling for complete cleaning is a b*tch. No access to trigger area without complete disassmebly.
5. Butt heavy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
RWRP, that is the same one I have, but I bought mine cheaper. And ditto to what Scotty said, except a 10/22 wasn't noticably butt heavy. The only mags I use with the bullpup are Ramline 30's and Eaton 50 round teardrops (horseshoe shaped).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts