1 - 15 of 15 Posts

No Longer Involved
It depends.

You're welcome.

;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your insightful answers.
I was wondering if the mini preferred one weight in particular.

No Longer Involved
Seriously, here is the scoop as I understand it.

The stock Mini-14 isn't stellar with accuracy. This is due to barrel whip and generally poor barrel design.

In any gun, barrel whip can be "tuned down" by either adding weight to the barrel in the right places, or by using ammo that "rings" the barrel at a different frequency, thereby tuning the whip to a different frequency, and possibly helping/hurting groups.

Smallbore 22LR shooters have known this for years... 2 identical 22LR 10/22's will respond to ammo differently.

SO, what you do is get a bunch of ammo, and try it out. 55GR American Eagle may work well for you, and more expensive 55gr Black Hills match may not, or vice versa.

With a 1-9" barrel, common wisdom says that you can fire the 68's, but as noted earlier, you can't discern the accuracy increases from heavier/longer bullets, becaused they are masked by the barrel whip issue.

Lots of people have reported great success with 50gr flat base American Eagle. Your mileage may vary.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill,
I didn't realize the little beast could be that finicky.
Guess I will have to try out a bunch of different types.

Registered
I agree with the others, but might add: Most guns are like that to some degree more or less. With a good gun you will find more types of ammo it likes, than with a not so good of gun.I recently read an article, in Guns Mag, one of the articles, either benchrest loading or precision hunting loads, that stated you should clean the bore, when switching to another brand of bullets, as mixing powder residue does some strange things in there. If you don't you may not reconize the new bullets full potential. Just a thought that might help.

No Longer Involved
Stock Mini-14 and precision benchresting?

While I'm sure there is an effect with residue, with a stock Mini, you aren't going to notice the effect. It gets lost in the background noise.

Registered
Savary---Think of the muzzle of your rifle moving like the sine wave on an ocilloscope. The perfect round will make the bullet exit the barrel at the top or the bottom of the wave everytime. Rimfire shooters can't alter thier ammunition so they look for the one type that shoots best in thier rifle. Centerfire shooters build thier rifles around the round they intend to shoot. With the Mini unless you modify it shoot with the AR guys you're left to finding whatever type/brand of ammo shoots best. This is all getting away from the fun of a Mini though. It's not really accurate, we all know that. So go out & buy a bunch of cheap (I'd buy US myself) ammo & just have a ball. Shoot at dirt clods, old wrecks whatever! What's a lot of fun is on a calm day through some ballons out there & shoot'em before they blow away.

Good shooting
Bushwack

Registered
Down heah, we sit in de shade on a bench n rest while we shoot. Dats de way we benchrest shoot.

Registered
I found 26gr of Varget or 25gr or H335 and a CCI mag primer with a 60-62gr bullet works good in my mini-14. By the way Cajungeo, I live next door in Texas do you'all have a platter of Mud Bugs on the benchrest with you to make everyting enjoyable?

Registered
King---I'm not a lawyer & I don't play one on TV but from what time I've spent in Louisiana I believe it's against the law to eat Mud Bugs unless you're also drinking beer. Of course this practice it concidered bad form at most ranges.

Just my 2垄
Bushwack

Registered
You guys--- Last summa 12 of us had a lil git ta gether. We ate #148 lbs of de crawfishes, an a few gallons of de liquid bread u call beer. I onlys had 5 plates as I ben watchen my weight. One of de keds ate 10 plates, causen hes a grawn boy, but his paw dont let hem hav no beer, cause eider hes a good paw, or his maw was a give hem de eye.

Registered
you can have the firing pin out of my mini and the clip as long as I can eat some crawfish and drink some beer. I don't want no accidents, only some music and (no Mosquitoes) soft shelled crabs for me and my mother in law. My wife loves the shrimp. any help would be appreciated!

Registered
We fishn n :beer: , and we shoot, but we no shoot n :beer: , sides de mini ain accuate nough to b a good skeeter gun. Dem skeeters are big n fast dwn heah!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts