Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you handloaders with some free time out there want to do some extensive bullet testing for the mini-30? I'm not looking for accuracy test just bullet performance in wet phone books or whatever. I will supply the bullets and the brass and you supply the powder, primers and the time. I would supply the powder and primers also if shipping would allow. Any takers? I just don't have the time and my mini is still down and out.

Just off the top of my head I have:
125 Nosler BT
150 Nosler BT
150 Hornady RN
150 Speer RN
130 Speer FN
150 Speer FN
130 Hornady SP
135 Sierra SSP
150 Rem 30-30 Core-Lokt
110 V-Max
130 Fed Fusion FN
125 Sierra Pro Hunter
110 Hornady SP
135 Sierra Match HP
125 Berger Match
150 Barnes 30-30 FN
150 Sierra RN
150 Nosler Partition
150 Nosler Solid Base
150 Nosler Accubond.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I wish I had a mini 30!:D

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
yeah I'll make up some loads. I have brass so no need to send. I'll try the 130 Hornady SP, the Sierra 135 SSP, the 135 Sierra match HP and 150 Nosler partition. I'l add a couple I have on hand - the Hornady .310 VMax 125gr and the Speer 150 Spitzer SP(shoots good in my .310 bore M30 so I'm hopeing for favorable expansion test results).

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
old yeller basically I'm looking for a heavier slug than the 123-125 gr available for the X39 round for the same puprpose - feral hogs and also more reliable on larger deer with quartering away shot. I don't own a chrono but will try to scrounge one up to augment the testing I will do - when I can work this in I have no idea, I have to drive 35 m. over mountain roads to get to the range I visit. but will shoot for before fall hunting season if possible.
I can tell you that the Speer 150gr Spitzer SP shoots good out of my M30, if expansion is there all the better. I'm mostly concerned about loss of velocity of the .308 dia slugs vs the .310 slugs. my M30 is the 189 series w/.310 bore.
there is a good artice available that a poster was good enuff to send out with some interesting info. I'll probably use wet cardboard for a test medium at 50 yds range.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Marlin, Bullets sent. I put a few more types than you requested. Thanks for the help.

I was expecting to pick my mini up from the Smith at the end of this week. I got a message from his answer machine that he is gone and on vacation till the end of July. Damn, those Mini Gods are ****ed at me!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
you must be paying him well for him to take a month of vacation, me I'm on my own and have only the few days I take in mid-week as 'vacation' time. I do take every Saturday as paper work and pick up around the place day (I'm batching)

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I've decided to use wet sawdust for the test box filler with a cardboard front piece. ballistic gel is way out of my price-range and I haven't had any luck finding enuff phone books to use either. maybe use a couple in the front for each slug. and pack the sawdust as best I can.
updates later. I may have found a chrono I can scrounge up.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot of guys use one gallon milk jugs filled with water. They line them up on a plank about 4-5 deep.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I haven't had time to fabricate the box yet, I've got to scrounge more scrap plywood and find some sawdust, some of the slugs I have loaded up.
the bore on the 189 series is .310.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
steve sent me several different makes of slugs and I have 2 of mine, the Hornady .310 Vmax and the Speer .308 150gr SP to add to it.
I've used the Winchester 123 gr SP to fill my doe tags with, I don't consider it the best choice. dead is dead of course but 1 recovered slug had separated the core the other was a pass-thru not found (neck shot). so I'm hopeing one of the heavier grain slugs will show some good expansion (for larger bodied deer, hog or bear), and I've also got to find a place to conduct my test at, the range is aways from me and hauling all that stuff is impossible so hopeing someplace local.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Marlin, What ever happended to the test? Just curious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts