Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many members have build there own AR-15, the caliber dose not matter,
as long as you have built one or are in the progress of building one,,,Doc

·
HeyMatthew.com
25 Posts
I decided a month or so ago that I'd like to get into an AR. I didn't have the cash to drop on it all at once so I figured I'd see what I could do to build one from scratch. I've been piecing it together and am in the market for an upper assembly now. I haven't decided what to go with yet, but I have some ideas.

It's a bit of a Franken-Rifle, really. I started with an SAA Lower from a local shop here in town and purchased an LPK from Palmetto State Armory (just under an hour from me) and I bought my BCG from Bravo Company. I'm planning on Magpul furniture up front and for the stock as well as Magpul BUS. Not sure on an optic yet, but I'm thinking a red dot for medium-range plinking and fast target acquisition. I don't like the grip on it so I'm planning on either a Magpul grip or a Hogue overmolded grip.

Here she is so far:

If I can offer any insight at all, let me know. I'm new at this, but I've learned a lot so far.

Any others out there building anything right now?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Why not "build" your upper as well? It's actually easier than assembling the lower and only requires a few special tools. I bought my armorers wrench for about $19 and then all you need is a torque wrench, a vice,an upper receiver holding block and a few pin punches which you probably already have if you assembled the lower.

·
HeyMatthew.com
25 Posts
Why not "build" your upper as well? It's actually easier than assembling the lower and only requires a few special tools. I bought my armorers wrench for about $19 and then all you need is a torque wrench, a vice,an upper receiver holding block and a few pin punches which you probably already have if you assembled the lower.
I actually thought about that, but after buying all the parts and all the tools, I will have spent enough to get a decent upper already built. I'd really like to try building my own upper, but I think I might buy one for now and then build one a little later when funds allow. I plan on upgrading the whole gun a little at a time, too. It's a tinkerer for me, really...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought my first one as a complete rifle around a dozen years ago, but have bullt every one since, while basically rebuilding the first one. I forget how many I have done but maybe 15 or 16 now. Obviously I enjoy it.

One of my friend's son is coming over today so I can help him with his first AR. He has already assembled the lower from stripped and will use my tools to assemble the upper and barrel.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've assembled, or stripped and re-assembled (the way I want it) factory uppers/lowers to make 5 or 6 rifles now. I've lost count since I sold so many parts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've built close to a dozen lowers over the past 15 years, I have a buddy who can has a receiver block and wrench for barreling, never bothered to buy one. Easy to build and very tempting to change or modify. Gone for light to heavy and back.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:built-yup!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts