Perfect Union banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, obviously this guy is going to just keep spouting his nonsense.
I'm done with him.

So back to the OP's original concern.
No the buffer is not the issue.
Yes, it is an issue with the trigger group itself or the trigger group to stock fit.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well, obviously this guy is going to just keep spouting his nonsense.
I'm done with him.

So back to the OP's original concern.
No the buffer is not the issue.
Yes, it is an issue with the trigger group itself or the trigger group to stock fit.
Odd, reading the reviews on the buffers, as many people have problems with them as have some imagined benefit. Oh, and at least one manufacturer tries to clarify that theirs does not stop metal to metal contact, as that would be detrimental to the bolt roller.
So it seems my nonsense is actually just common sense. A rarity these days, even here.

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Well I'm no Mini expert I own one an it goes bang.Its a well known fact here on PU that Sandog is usually the NO. 1 go to for an all Mini info,NO. 2 would be Ruger itself.
It has been an informative thread for me due to all the players involved...
lotta drama for zip....
Just a thought from the peanut gallery....:lol::lol:

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
The good thing about the shock buffers ( especially 1911's) is that they are very cheap, so the dollar to benefit ratio is pretty high. And they are very easy to install if you know how to field strip your mini. It's cheap insurance for the optics on your mini, and will also likely lead to longer life for your gas nozzle. On a mini 14, i combine a reduced gas port bushing and a shock buffer on the reciever side of my mini 14. That's what works best for me. Hylander, RJF and sandog have also contributed excellent points about what works for them, along with the stock and trigger assembly fitment issues. Good thread guys!
And i heve to agree with Smogguy., unfortunately member sandog knows the mini 14/30 product better than Ruger does. We are fortunate to have a thriving aftermarket for parts, and knowledgeable members here to supply parts and impart knowlege to fine tune our wonderful Ruger mini's.

I enjoy increasing the performance of my mini 14/30's the same way i enjoy increasing the performance of my 350 Chevy, with an RV Cam, and Edelbrock, or factory LT-1 intake manifold, along with a bigger Carb and Open element air filter. Yes, I'm old school and that works for me!

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,582 Posts
Holy cow! I've never before seen such inane babbling as I have from the good reverend in this thread. Reverend, I recommend you get re-baptized, full immersion, with your head under water for... oh... about 10 minutes should do it. You'll be as right as rain after. I promise!

The fact is very few firearms come from the factory functioning the best they can be. They usually have a lot more potential. Every firearm made for the US military goes through the hands of an armorer before it's ever put in a the hands of a soldier.

Your argument that someone thinks they know better than Ruger because they add buffers is beyond ridiculous. The Mini, like most other firearms, leaves the factory within some standard spec that the factory adheres to.

Beyond that standard is plenty of room for improvement. And thus there are countless forums, books, videos, magazine articles, technical papers, etc, on improving virtually every firearm ever made. You surely must know that, but you're obviously the sort to forget everything they know just to try to win an argument. And you're not winning. So far your grade in this class is F-. Thanks to the Dems you got No Child Left Behind going for ya, but that's about it.

I went through the painful process of reading through all your posts in this thread. It's you who has a problem grasping physics. I know physics, both academically and in practice.

Let's talk tech. You go first, because I'm a gentleman and I always say "ladies first. " It's how I was raised. :cool:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
First, read carefully. I was talking about the forward force of the spring. Regardless of how it is compressed, it has the same energy stored it in for forward notion.
Second, I am pretty certain I can impart the same degree of rearward motion as the gas system does. Maybe you can't.
You are beyond help, reverend.
The forward force of the spring means nothing, only the heavy op-rod slamming into the gas block.
That is what is hard on optics, hard on the gas block, and detrimental to accuracy. The spring only helps the op-rod on it's way.
Excess gas is also an issue, as a blowhard like you would know.

Pretty sure you can impart the same degree of rearward motion as the gas system.
Sure, any of us can pull the op-rod all the way back and "impart the same degree of rearward motion" but the amount of travel is not what matters.
What matters is the speed that occurs from the gas action, and the extra energy from that speed.
That op-rod will come back when firing much faster than you can pull it back, and impact the receiver with more energy.

Let's all put this dude on ignore, and we can get back to civil, constructive discussion among friends.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Like buffers use them.
Don't like buffers don't use them.
Want to stop me from using buffers in a mini,
buy me a rifle with the stipulation that I cannot
use buffers.
Inferring people are silly or inferring they are stupid
for modifying their property is the height of insolence.
Bottom line, I do not care what you think or what your
views are.
I will do what I want with my property.
Trolling allowed only in the political forums.
Having a difference of opinion is one thing.
Believing you can change opinions by denigrating
others here is uncalled for.
So don't go away mad just go away.

Also reducing the gas bushing size only affects
rearward motion not forward motion.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,582 Posts
Like buffers use them.
Don't like buffers don't use them.
Want to stop me from using buffers in a mini,
buy me a rifle with the stipulation that I cannot
use buffers.
Inferring people are silly or inferring they are stupid
for modifying their property is the height of insolence.
Bottom line, I do not care what you think or what your
views are.
I will do what I want with my property.
Trolling allowed only in the political forums.
Having a difference of opinion is one thing.
Believing you can change opinions by denigrating
others here is uncalled for.
So don't go away mad just go away.

Also reducing the gas bushing size only affects
rearward motion not forward motion.
I agree with nearly all of that, Sparkie. You're another of the elite and informed around good old PU.

The last part about the gas bushing is a little tricky though. The less rearward velocity, the less forward ricochet energy. The slide assembly is propelled forward by both the recoil spring and from "bouncing" (for lack of a better term) off the rear of the receiver at the point of the buffer.

It's same as when you bounce a ball on the ground. The more force you put into it, the higher the ball will bounce. It has more or less rebound velocity in proportion to how hard you throw it.

So a reduced gas bushing and the addition of buffers can really tame a Mini-14/30 to a measurable degree. Add a trigger job and find the type ammo your Mini likes best and you're well on your way to having as much of a tack driver as a Mini can muster.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
So a reduced gas bushing and the addition of buffers can really tame a Mini-14/30 to a measurable degree. Add a trigger job and find the type ammo your Mini likes best and you're well on your way to having as much of a tack driver as a Mini can muster.
:D :D

Bingo! Thats what I'm doing. I must admit though, that the last part is the hardest. At 75c for each pull of the trigger, and a wage freeze for 2020 and 2021, its not easy to justify alot of ammo blasting to figure out what works best. ;) :(

I have 1000 heads of 55 gr. Ball type 193 projectiles to load up ( i'm good on primers and powder, and tons of 1x range brass that ive collected over the last 20 years. Its just a matter of having the time to gather everything for a solid block of time at the reloading bench. Added up i can load up m193 clone loads for about 24c each, using the materials i already have.

:D :D

:rapid: :usa: :lol: :lol: :lol: :usa: :ar15: :blink::ph34r:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sorry to bring this back.
But last week I had the same thing happen to me with a Mini-30.
Pull trigger, Bang, trigger group falls out, I think what a coincidence this happening.
Pop it back in with very little effort, about 4 rounds later out it pops again.
This time I see the rear of the trigger guard where it snaps in will just pop in with two fingers.
I tweak it a bit so it take the palm of my hand to seat.
And just like that, it is cured.
Many rounds later still sitting in there tight.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Like any mechanical device it takes some time to learn how to use it. Many of us do simple things with our cars like changing the oil and replacing shock absorbers. It's what we do when we want to be intimate and knowledgeable with our devices. I prefer not to use a forward buffer but I do use a rear buffer. I recently cut down my Mini barrel to 17 inches because I wanted to change up the mission from long distance shooting to close in defense. It's your rifle. Make it into what ever you want. Ruger sold us a basic platform so it's up to us to make it "right".

I will never live long enough to wear it out so eventually it will go to a son or daughter and they get the chance to wear it out. When it's used up it will go into the scrap pile like we do with so much stuff. I only want to make sure it's me (or an heir) that is throwing it out and not a leftist anarchist government.
kwg

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I had a Mini-30 that would not cycle correctly with a front 1911 buffer. It habitually short strokes. A MIni-14 I had would not function correctly with a rear buffer of any kind., It is trial and error. My current Mini-30 and my last Min i-14 works/worked great with front and rear 1911 buffers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, if you read the OP, the guy changed a stock, and added buffers, and gun stopped functioning properly. Say fix... start by taking off the “feel good” extra parts not specified for the weapon. Ta-da
Seriously, do the physics, the buffers do next to nothing. Hat minuscule amount of compression barely changes the recoil stroke a bit, so it isn’t saving your optics. The noise reduction has you fooled.
As to the front end buffer, can nobody name another gun, be it auto, semi-auto, bolt, pump, lever, etc...that uses a buffer to lessen the chambering force? That force is the same in your mini whether you release the bolt by hand or fire it and let it cycle. It isn’t a lot of force. Lessening it only makes the weapon less reliable.
Sorry, I do try to deal in facts. The fact is the buffers are

Ike snake oil. You already have a recoil buffer, it’s a spring. I have to wonder, how much shock absorption would you expect if you wore shoes with soles the thickness and composition of your “buffers”? Makes sense, huh.
Have fun.

Well I've watched this bounce back & forth since it started and those of you that know me also know that I read, watch and listen a lot but comment less. Kind the ol better to stay quite than pipe up and remove all doubt.....

But I think I'm going to more or less put an end to this, at least for me watching this thread anyway.

With all due respect sir, I doubt very seriously that you are an actual engineer and one with actual weapon experience. If you were, I don't think you would have made some of the comments that you have. I am not going to get into your comments about "physics" because I am a engineer with experience in weapons package and delivery systems.
Over 20 years with direct blow back, DI and piston driven / gas systems (all of the M & AR series and blowback). So I'm going to agree to disagree with you and say we stand apart ;)

Buffers do have a place, they do make a difference and those of us in this community and many others with years of experience know this..... for a fact, theoretical or other wise. If they don't run in YOUR particular gun, there is a mitigating or additional reason to likely address. If you don't like them or don't "believe" in them do to your opinion on "physics", then don't use them... that simple. End of story, game over.

Sandog and a few of the the many others will have my / our similar point of view. Call Bill Wilson and ask him why he was one of the early proponents and designers of buffers, then tell him your thoughts on the "physics". But running down folks who do know what they are talking about won't get you any extra MRE cookies or change any minds here... on this "physics" subject anyway.

Every weapon that comes off the line is different. Even one or two ser. #'s apart (just ask anyone that reloads!) may or may not like any type of change or modification. Those with actual years behind a trigger of any given weapon platform know where I'm going with this. I run buffers in my 1911's (all 6), my Minis' (all 5), my BHP's (4), my Glock's (all 9) custom made buffers in my M14's, M1's and on and on for a reason, and they work BETTER. YMMV and appears to be so...... so be it. We agree to disagree for MANY different reasons, over many different knowledgeable people, over many different sample sizes, over many different and collective years of actual experience. Good enough?

Capt. Thomas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Never did find out. With two 1911 buffers the trigger group pops out under recoil. With one...it works perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well I've watched this bounce back & forth since it started and those of you that know me also know that I read, watch and listen a lot but comment less. Kind the ol better to stay quite than pipe up and remove all doubt.....

But I think I'm going to more or less put an end to this, at least for me watching this thread anyway.

With all due respect sir, I doubt very seriously that you are an actual engineer and one with actual weapon experience. If you were, I don't think you would have made some of the comments that you have. I am not going to get into your comments about "physics" because I am a engineer with experience in weapons package and delivery systems.
Over 20 years with direct blow back, DI and piston driven / gas systems (all of the M & AR series and blowback). So I'm going to agree to disagree with you and say we stand apart ;)

Buffers do have a place, they do make a difference and those of us in this community and many others with years of experience know this..... for a fact, theoretical or other wise. If they don't run in YOUR particular gun, there is a mitigating or additional reason to likely address. If you don't like them or don't "believe" in them do to your opinion on "physics", then don't use them... that simple. End of story, game over.

Sandog and a few of the the many others will have my / our similar point of view. Call Bill Wilson and ask him why he was one of the early proponents and designers of buffers, then tell him your thoughts on the "physics". But running down folks who do know what they are talking about won't get you any extra MRE cookies or change any minds here... on this "physics" subject anyway.

Every weapon that comes off the line is different. Even one or two ser. #'s apart (just ask anyone that reloads!) may or may not like any type of change or modification. Those with actual years behind a trigger of any given weapon platform know where I'm going with this. I run buffers in my 1911's (all 6), my Minis' (all 5), my BHP's (4), my Glock's (all 9) custom made buffers in my M14's, M1's and on and on for a reason, and they work BETTER. YMMV and appears to be so...... so be it. We agree to disagree for MANY different reasons, over many different knowledgeable people, over many different sample sizes, over many different and collective years of actual experience. Good enough?

Capt. Thomas
Well Captain, those silly pieces of polymer dont really count as buffers, do they. You claim the education, so you should know that my statements regarding their damping abilities are spot on. Sad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
UPDATE:

I put the gun back in the original synthetic stock (i had put it in factory wood) and the issue went away.

Im thinking the fit wasn't correct on the wood stock and it wasn't latching correctly. Why this only manifested with 2 buffers installed is beyond me. Rifle currently has wilson 1911 buffers front and rear...smooth and silk and working perfectly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quak- Good on you. Glad your rifle is ok. Funny how this buffer thing affects rifles differently. I bought them a couple of years ago but never used them as my rifle never messed up my scope, FTF, FTE etc. It shoots well enough so I figured if it ain't broke don't fix it.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts