Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed one of these last week and finally got to try it today: New FSI Tactical Mini 14 Recoil Buffer on Sale | eBay

It was a easy drop in piece that required no fitment. Rifle cycles just fine. My question is in regards to ejection which has changed.

Prior to the buffer install, the rifle ejected shells 15-20' to about the 2:00 position. Now with buffer installed ejection is 5-6' at the 11:00 position. Is this ok on a 186 series - should I be concerned with ejection problems like a potential jam?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
If you ever put a rail and optics on the gun wouldn't the 11 o clock ejection be a problem? I have not installed a buffer block but I do run optics and a Weigland rail. There is a bevel cut in the rail to facilitate spent case ejection but it would not provide for 11 o clock. I don't know why a buffer block would cause that much difference in ejection unless it was way too thick and didn't let the bolt go back far enough.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
That is normal for buffers to change the ejection angle. If you run a scope I put black electrical tape around the scope to buffer from brass.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
It was a easy drop in piece that required no fitment. Rifle cycles just fine. My question is in regards to ejection which has changed.

Prior to the buffer install, the rifle ejected shells 15-20' to about the 2:00 position. Now with buffer installed ejection is 5-6' at the 11:00 position. Is this ok on a 186 series - should I be concerned with ejection problems like a potential jam?
Like tri70 said its normal when you add a buffer for the ejection angle and force of ejection to change. As far as potential ejection problems or jams you will just have to run some rounds through it and see how it acts. I have read of people using the Buffer Technology's buffer and having problems, the fix was to grind them thinner. All I have ever used is a Wilson .45 Shok Buff and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the response back! I don't use optics as there is no place to mount them. It's a standard older model with the military style adjustable peep sight. Rather have that model than a newer ranch one because I can't stand the flimsy flip up sight. If I was to use a scope, it would be on an Ultimak with a red dot or small low power scope. When I test fired 20 rounds through it last weekend it worked perfectly at slow single and fast fire without a hitch. Just thought that it was a bit strange that the shells were ejected forward slightly left after the change.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The newest Minis have a sturdier "M14-style" rear sight on them. ;)

As others have said, it's nothing to worry about. IIWY, I'd probably lay that buffer flat on a file and run it back and forth a few strokes to knock a couple thousandths off the thickness, because I wouldn't know what to do with a left-ejecting right-handed rifle... :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts