Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, this is just one of them bad days. I'm just getting over the shock of discovering the bolt carrier is breaking in half. Calling Ruger tomorrow. Something around 400 rounds fired. No evedence yet of bolt tilt. Well I'm sick, going to bed.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Take photos!!! Make sure you have documented what ammo you were using and who you speak with on the phone at Ruger. Oh and if you get a chance post the images, so we can see what happened and keep us up to date.. Good luck and hope everything works out.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
its a new production item based off of a platform the original MFG declined to mass produce.

Ruger will make it right.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hey folks, this is just one of them bad days. I'm just getting over the shock of discovering the bolt carrier is breaking in half. Calling Ruger tomorrow. Something around 400 rounds fired. No evedence yet of bolt tilt. Well I'm sick, going to bed.
That really bothers me, there is a local show this weekend that usually draws a lot of dealers. I HAD every intention of buying trading for an SR556, I guess that will be put on hold.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
That really bothers me, there is a local show this weekend that usually draws a lot of dealers. I HAD every intention of buying trading for an SR556, I guess that will be put on hold.
Why? If I had the money I would pick one up. If something happens to it, Ruger will fix it and if you shoot enough, some time, some place, one of your firearms will have break down too. I personally believe that SR556 would be a great rifle in that platform to pick up, because of Rugers support. But it is Rugers first generation in the platform, I would expect some issues. But its your money, buy what you want. :) A lot of people complain about the Mini's and I still buy them. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Man, that's a bummer. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a Colt, but every time I look at the SR556, I have to ask myself, why don't I have one of these yet?

Where's it breaking in half at? What kind of ammo were you shooting? What gas setting?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey fellers there is one thing I'm not afraid of, and that is Ruger's service. Any gun I sent to them for a fix came back better than any on the shelf. Last night I was looking it over when I discovered what looked like a crack. Took digital photoes and blew them up and I will try to figure out how to post them after I write this. But this morning I took the bolt carrier out in bright sunlight and it looks more like a casting mark. So I'm just not sure now. A casting mark that darkend up with dirt? I'm going to keep shooting and see what happens. Pictures next I hope.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures

Here's the pics. I never mentioned I love this rifle. It is just moa shooting all brands of amo. Beats the crap out of my deer rifles. Been shooting just about everything but wolf. Very consistent operation. On setting one every shot would eject case but carrier would't quite go back far enough to strip next round. On setting 2 with any given load the brass piles up in one place. Never had it on setting 3. Only one load has produced markings on the case head, the M855s. Once again I have to press this is a smooth running machine. Hope the pics are here.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diferent Angle

Pic 3 is in direct sunlight and just doesn't look bad. What you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It looks like a casting mark to me. I would call Ruger and ask them if buffing that area with a Dremel would hurt the warranty. I personally think if you did a little polishing in that area, you could clean that mark right up.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Oldmod77,

I tend to agree with DrewArtist here.

It looks like some left-over material from the manufacturing process.

Frankly, I'd take a Dremel (as already suggested) and polish that area. I recommend using a rubber wheel impregnated with some sort of abrasive. I have used Cratex myself for polishing work. But, Dremel makes a polishing wheel (#425 - Emery Impregnated Disc) that should work just fine too.

Anyway, not to minimize your concern....I would be "anxious" about finding this myself on my bolt carrier...but, I think you'll find it's not a crack, but rather a very minor blemish.

Hence, it can probably be cleaned up with some very minor polishing work.

If you do find out it's a crack in the bolt carrier, I'm confident Ruger will ship you a replacement part.

I have personally had VERY good customer service from Ruger.

Please keep us updated on the outcome of your situation.

Good luck!

~ alaj70

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I can only say what my eyes show me on my monitor, but to me, I have to agree. It looks like a blemish to me and not a crack. Pictures 1 & 3 (From the second set) look okay, picture 2 looks like maybe there's a tiny little lip there, and with the (burned powder?) behind it, it's easier to see. You know, like dirt under your fingernails.

I won't swear that it isn't a crack, but it certainly doesn't look like one to me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If it runs into those cuts, it's a crack. I can't tell for sure, but in picture #3 of the top set, it sure appears to.
Ruger sure didn't do a very nice job of cleaning up their bolt carrier.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Without seeing it in person I wouldn't say with 100% that its not a crack, but image three says a lot. With the angle and light there is zero visible fault line and it doesn't continue into the grooves. From what I can see it looks like rolled over burr, which is catching dirt and a shadow.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Oldmod77,

Hang in there...I know this schtuff can get very frustrating. We've all been there at one time or another. (I know I have)

At the end of the day, keep in mind that the AR-15 is a modular design. So, if you need a new bolt carrier, it's replaceable. That should give you a little bit of solace.

While these are really good photos, without looking at it in person, I can't tell if the "blemish" runs into the cut used for the forward assist. If it does, and since this area is recessed, you might be able to determine if there's a crack.

But, frankly speaking, you may not be able to tell, just from looking at it. You see, stress cracks can be present, without actually being visible to the naked eye. The only way to really tell is to "test" the metal.

Your best bet would be to call Ruger pronto. Heck, why chance it? Besides, when you drop a nice chunk ($$$) of change on a new rifle, you want it to be right...period.

Frankly, I'm guessing Ruger will have you send in this bolt carrier, and they'll simply give you a brand new one.

Again, I have experienced VERY good customer service from Ruger.

Keep us posted...

~ alaj70

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As was mentioned by others the single thing that hasn't convenced me is the fact this mark does stop right at the cut out. I ran some more rounds throught it yesterday and no change yet. I have to admit I've never spent more than 700. bucks on a firearm before (except for scope later) I'm running a little parinoid. I emailed Ruger that night and the next morning the emailed me back to call them with the S# but I wanted to check it out more before I called them. I shall do the Monday. Thanks guys for the input.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The bolt carrier is not casted it's made from billet steel. That has to be cracked. Either way why would you want to worry about it all the time. Send it back and see what Ruger says and put and worries to rest.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The bolt carrier is not casted it's made from billet steel. That has to be cracked. Either way why would you want to worry about it all the time. Send it back and see what Ruger says and put and worries to rest.
Ditto!

Send it back to Ruger. It should come from the factory in perfect working order.

Besides, from a quality control perspective, I would think Ruger would want to know if it sent out a flawed component in a first generation rifle that it produced.

Keep us posted...

~ alaj70

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:rolleyes:Gawd-I'm 99.999% sure that is NOT a crack!

Even with my eyes I can see it is a burr left by the machining process,Ruger just does'nt spend the extra time in final finishing of it products.Take the thing to an auto machine shop and have it magnafluxed before you cry wolf!Two minutes with a fine cut triangular file will remove the burr,and not harm anything else!;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
wow a chrome bolt carrier cracked? has to be a material flaw cuz its very rare for a chrome moly bolt carrier to have a crack -they are built stronge rthen the regular AR15 bolt carriers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts