Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times before, but how many rounds through a Mini would be considered as "broke in"? My 580 tapered barrel SS has had in the neighborhood of 3-400 rounds run through it.

Steve

·
Registered
397 Posts
IMO you are there. How do you like the gun so far?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'd say you were in the neighborhood right now.
Function OK? Groups pulling together? Found out it's favorite ammo?
If yes then stick a fork in it.... it's done.:D

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
300 rnds should be sufficient. Before you shoot for accuracy, you should scrub your bore well with a lead and copper cleaner.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A couple of hundred rounds is enough to "break-in" any firearm.

The tradeoff is always between bore tightness versus smoothness of the moving operating parts.

Eventually your bore will wear out, but that will take a lot of rounds, fired quickly through a hot barrel. The cooler you keep your barrel the longer it will last.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like my Mini, but I would like it more if I could shoot it more often. I've had it over 2 years. I've run 3-4 different kinds of ammo through it, but nothing really "good". One of these days I will.

Steve

·
Registered
663 Posts
One way to shoot it more often and keep costs down is to reload. You gain accuracy as well if you have the patience to load test.

The only downside to reloading is the initial cost, however it pays for itself quite rapidly when reloads are half the price of even bargain brass ammo (20-25 cents vs. 40-45 cents).

·
Registered
344 Posts
If it loads easily, functions reliably and hits what you are shooting at stop second guessing it. Most of my guns shot good out of the box, some like my target 10/22 took 2 years before it could be called decent. Ain't no set rule as to when a gun has been properly broken in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts