Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Honor our Constitution !
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
against NEVER carrying anything smaller than a .44 for self defense, even as a backup.
Because
at work I have to carry something completely concealed within my back pocket (with my bandanna handkerchief) that won't "peek" out above the pocket if i'm only wearing a tucked in company T-shirt. (Supervisor uniform when it's hot/humid inside)
So
I decided to go with a Ruger Gen 1 LCP .380acp. with round nosed FMJs.
SUPER LIGHT, 7 rd. w/1 chambered, decent DAO trigger (stout enough to prevent A/Ds) and of course, American made in N.C. with Rugers lifetime warranty/guarantee.

not shot it yet, but I think i'm going to like this little pup......brand new $190 OTD.

Have I screwed up?

· Banned
8,866 Posts
I agree with Bepe, and I have a real thing for little .380s, especially the vintage ones.

I was doing a job in a bottling plant a few years back, where I couldn't carry using my Kangaroo Carry like normal, and had to improvise due to clothing requirements.
One of my scarily accurate little mouse-guns went into my right rear pocket.
Good to go. :)

· Registered
292 Posts
The pea shooter that stays in your pocket is always better than the cannon you leave at home because it is just too inconvienient.
I used to have an affinity for airweight s+w, carried for years...then found an AMT backup.45 to go with my Automag collection. DAO, stainless, no sights, no safety 5rd. Clips. My little "pocket protector"
Can find them on GB regular for under $400.

· Banned
8,866 Posts
I have a couple of the original (grip safety) Backups, one 380 and one 22, and one of the DAO 380s, fun guns.
Found one of the 45 Backups late last year I think (oops, year before last that is) at a local show for under $300, really like it, but it has some feed failures.
Purchased a new guide rod and recoil spring for it convinced that would help, but it didn't unfortunately.
Found another factory magazine for it recently, that the feed lips look slightly different from the one it came with, but haven't played with it yet to see if there's any improvement.
I won't tweak magazine lips without a working one to match, too easy to get way off base.

Aklawok, have you had good luck with yours?

PS.
I do have a couple of factory magazines for one of the DAOs in 38 Super, if anyone is in need of one, send me a PM.

I'm that goober who would probably eventually own one in each of the 9 calibers that AMT chambered them in, for the novelty of it.
I bought the 38 Super mags long ago in hopes of actually finding one chambered for it, without any luck to date.
If I let the magazines go, that chambering will fall in my lap soon after! :p

· Registered
292 Posts
The only issue I have had with the backup is occasional failure to feed, but due only to lack of lube (slap of slide and it locks up ok)
Lint/dirt from pocket and not wanting lots of oil in my pocket is the main cause. Clean and fresh lube it worksmflawless accurate to 50ft. But 6lb. Trigger is part of the safety I won't mess with. One hell of a belly gun.

· Registered
195 Posts
I have carried an LCP in the past as a pocket gun. I have had 3 of them and gave one to my father after he got his permit so he would have something he could pocket carry.

I remember the first time he shot it back in 2015, he thought there was something wrong with the trigger, but I just said "keep on pulling, it will go off".

I usually keep one of my other ones in the glove box in my vehicle with it's pocket holster in case I forget my daily carry gun for some reason.

I have known people who did not like the trigger at the range, but I shoot a lot of revolvers so the DOA is not something that bothers me, plus I understand the reasoning behind it in the LCP.

With today's prices on them it's hard to resist picking up another.

· Registered
5,867 Posts
Consider the Bersa Thunder .380 Combat: either the standard or the Combat Plus.

DA/SA, 8+1 for the Combat; 15+1 for the Combat Plus. Fits nicely in a Mr. Mike's #2 pocket sleeve in the back pocket of my jeans. I carry it everywhere and have gotten to the point where I have to check to make sure I'm carrying...

I carry 8+1, de-cocked so that a single DA trigger pull gets things going. Always carry an extra 9-round DLX mag and when I'm off the property, and extra 8-rounder. Good control and a wonderful shootin' iron. And 100% reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.