Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a mini14 ranch rifle. I have read about proper break in on this board, and others agree +- a bit. Some say every 5 rounds till you reach 50-70. Some say clean every 1 round till 10, from 10 on every 5 rounds. Can someone help me here? What is the best method?

Second, everyone tells me to clean my gun from the breach end. All I have ever owned is 22's (10/22 and a Winchester). I never broke those guns in and always push a patch from the muzzle end. People tell me this is wrong. If its true that I need to clean the gun from the breach end, do I have disassemble the gun every time!? Help?

Last, what ammo shall I use to break in the new barrel? Thanks!

Stinger22

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dought if the guy that test fired your gun at ruger worried about barrel break in.This is how I did my ranch.One five rnd mag to get it on target then a couple thirty rnd mags to heat treat the barrel.I know that sounds nuts but my gun still shoots seven out of ten at 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the other three fling out to about 5 inchs.Just my two cents But I wouldn't worry to much about barrel break in on a gun that only shoots 3 to 5 inch groups at a 100 yards.Don't get me wrong if I was to get a nice heavy barrel I would break it in.It just seems like a waste of time on that weak ruger barrel.As far as cleaning from the breach buy a bore snake its easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bald Guy. Never seen the bore snake before (new to this). Anyone else want to put 2 cents in? Thanks

stinger22

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll have to agree with Bald Guy on the special abreviated break-in approach to the Mini, although I cleaned every 3 rds til 60 in four days of shooting just to stay in the practice and further engrain the habit. Was my K-Mini Ranch worth it? Probably not. Did it help? My latest and best group from a good bench rest with a scoped rifle and a calm day with every shot paced, properly spaced and feeling like a first kiss yielded almost exactly what our follically challenged friend has reported here - ten rounds with 7 inside 3" and the rest scattered out to nearly five. Not bad for what it is, but not exactly "interesting" either.
DO go get a Bore Snake. They are the best 15 bucks or so you have ever spent. And for serious cleaning get yourself aquainted with Otis. http://www.otisgun.com I only clean one rifle without my Otis kit. My Daisy Powerline 880.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hey reloader, its a small world, i live just 10 miles north of you, i bet we've rubbed elbows at the Bamboo Garden buffet in Mt Vernon. these mini-14's are alot of fun huh, i cant leave them alone, over the past 22 years, i've owned 3 different ones, and im still learning about them...gutpile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts