Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 564 Posts

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the store, where I "scored" a single box of .22LR and a single box of 5.56x45. Best of all, they may actually have some left for tomorrow so I can pick up another ration as the doors open. It made me realize how much my world has changed in the 3 short months since the run up to the last election, that finding a paltry 70 ctgs of ammo in brands I don't particularly care for is a "score" that left me smiling.

Anyone else sit back and realize exactly how much things have changed for the worse since November? My outlook has already changed, and I wonder what else is in store for us. I'm starting to wonder what happens when the dollar finally implodes - will the era of easily available food and gasoline be just a memory like the era of easily available ammo was?

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
10,504 Posts
We prepare for the worst, hope for the best, take what comes.

· Banned
7,951 Posts
and to all my friends and family who thought I was an idiot for stocking up last year to the tune of 5,000 plus rounds for each caliber I own (22lr, 38auto, 9mm, 45acp, 223/.556, 12ga, 20ga), I salute your dumn ass. and I finally salute that UPS driver who relentessly had to hike his ass up the hill to make those deliveries.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
I will wager there will be more ammo than ever. Supply will always strive to meet demand when profit is involved.

· Registered
182 Posts
...Anyone else sit back and realize exactly how much things have changed for the worse since November? My outlook has already changed, and I wonder what else is in store for us. I'm starting to wonder what happens when the dollar finally implodes - will the era of easily available food and gasoline be just a memory like the era of easily available ammo was?
Wait until the organized gangs and hungry masses come to see what you have to offer, and your left wondering where you put the rest of those 10 round magazines...not that they contained any ammo. :wacko:

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, that's the situation right now, Grumpy. I cannot find a thing locally, and I have a good friend who's a dealer.....he can't get any at the moment. I just bought some 7.62 M-118LR online (500 rds for $700). TargetsportsUSA.com is showing that they have some 5.56 62gr M855 FMJ, 1000 rds for $800. Federal Lake City 5.56mm M855 62 Grain FMJ Green Tip 1000 Rounds Bulk Ammo That ammo has been listed for several days. The 7.62 that I ordered was scarfed up in minutes.
Thanks for the heads up on the ammo Harper! I will add targetsports to my 'watch list' of sites I scour for ammo.

If the balloon went up tomorrow, I actually am doing pretty well on ammo - more than I can carry or even relocate by car if it came to that. Probably several lifetimes supply if it was used sparingly and wisely. However, the thing I really noticed was a change in myself. As of now, its like I'm living in a 3rd world country and am just happy I can get anything at all!

For those of us who have never lived through real food scarcity, I wonder what it will be like when this happens to our food supplies too? I keep enough for a few weeks or so on hand at all times with staples for a couple of months, but like my ammo supplies that may not be "enough" in a time of scarcity. In Argentina they have hyperinflation going and have just put on price freezes. You know exactly what that will do - empty shelves and people scrambling for basics of existence like I am scrambling to feed my small arms.

And to think that this basic turn of events to the new normal came about in a few scant weeks. At what point will all of the pseudo money Bernanke has pumped into the zombie economy do the same thing here? It makes me wonder if I should just say "enough" on the ammo for now and start getting cases of #10 enameled tin nitrogen pack food stocked, along with a few cases of MRE. Running out of storage space though.

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
648 Posts
Who needs an AWB when panic buying can dry up the ammo supply without any new laws at all? Fortunately, I believe demand WILL drive supply and things will normalize sooner than projected. Hopefully before the DHS starts using their billions of rounds. Has anybody wondered how many panic buyers don't even shoot the ammo they just bought in quantitiy over the last month? Not preppers, who were already stockpiling, i'm talking about the panic buyers. Those folks are playing right into the hands of the grabbers, frankly. Not everybody had the means or the time to clean off the shelves at the LGS on Dec 15th. Those who couldn't have to simply reduce their sport shooting and go fishing i guess. This will be interesting to watch as manufacturing keeps ramping up...should eventually result in some nice pricing for the rest of us if we want to take a break from reloading for awhile and just stock up.

God Bless!

Ron

· Registered
156 Posts
and to all my friends and family who thought I was an idiot for stocking up last year to the tune of 5,000 plus rounds for each caliber I own (22lr, 38auto, 9mm, 45acp, 223/.556, 12ga, 20ga), I salute your dumn ass. and I finally salute that UPS driver who relentessly had to hike his ass up the hill to make those deliveries.
I would have been stocking up too, but I was spending all my money on guns. :ph34r: I went from 2 to 6 in the last 6 months... not too shabby.

I actually bought 1000 rounds for the Mini-30 on ELECTION NIGHT, because I knew what would be eventually coming... at least I have a small stash. Now begins the "1-2 boxes at a time climb" to continue stockpiling.

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Bullets are nice but you can't eat them. I have enough bullets. I'm stocking up on staples and food right now. I feel something coming. Hard to believe but just a few months back we went and picked up an ammo order the squatted a 3/4 ton pickup down onto the overload springs.

· Libertarian
295 Posts
Yeah things have changed ALOT since December but between the election and December nothing changed other then the amount of "doomsday preppers" that came outside and spent time in public. Hopefully things will get better sooner rather then later as the perpetual doom hanging over my head is causing much unneeded stress. I dont sleep much worrying about things a father and husband shouldn't have to worry about in a country like ours.

· Registered
298 Posts
I just got back from the store, where I "scored" a single box of .22LR and a single box of 5.56x45. Best of all, they may actually have some left for tomorrow so I can pick up another ration as the doors open. It made me realize how much my world has changed in the 3 short months since the run up to the last election, that finding a paltry 70 ctgs of ammo in brands I don't particularly care for is a "score" that left me smiling.

Anyone else sit back and realize exactly how much things have changed for the worse since November? My outlook has already changed, and I wonder what else is in store for us. I'm starting to wonder what happens when the dollar finally implodes - will the era of easily available food and gasoline be just a memory like the era of easily available ammo was?

All the best,
Grumpy
I had been sensing change several months back....Was able to pickup a few extra factory magazine's for the Mini-14, Mini-30 and the 10/22. Missed the magazine boat for my USP40 and on ammo for everything, especially .22 LR. I'm on a very restricted budget, did what I could. Have a couple hundred rounds for each firearm in the home but that's it. I did manage to pickup a 180 series Liberty Mini-14 in excellent condition. Traded off a MIM Fender Strat for it. Figured I can always get another guitar, another Mini, damn near impossible unless your willing to pay the inflated prices, which I'm not.

Now, just trying to make sure we have emergency food, water and medication's. The toughest has been medication's. In order to build a small supply, have to cut back daily doses. Not a real healthy thing to be doing but, if things go sideways, for whatever reason, medication will be one of the hardest things to get. Especially what I have to take on a daily basis, just to get the old body moving for the day.

Never thought I'd live to see the day, when I would actually have to be prepping. All my life, I've never worried about things. But now, it's a different world and that is, just since December. I keep hoping, things will calm down, and the war drum of the Progressives quiets. I don't realistically see that happening though. The next four years is going to be a rough one for everyone I'm afraid.

Thankfully, I'm in the NW. Excluding Portland, we're all mostly common folk, who have worked hard all of our lives, that really don't like people telling us what we can or can not do, if we're being legal about things.

· Registered
112 Posts
And Copper?????

I work with a guy who buys penny roles every payday. Just a few, couple bucks worth. He sorts through all the roles and pulls out each penny dated before 1982. Repackages the others, and next payday trades for new roles. What does have to do with the topic? This guy follows metal prices and predicts the price of copper will double by the end of the year. coins dated before 1982 are copper; afterward, copper-washed zinc.

If copper continues to increase in value this will mean even higher prices for ammo (or bullets for us reloaders). After supply catches up with demand, prices may not be that great.

Just my $.02 (pun intended!)

-Aimhigh

401 Posts
Fear

I will not live in fear. I will not react out of fear. I have made reasonable preparations. I have supplies to take care of my boys and I and maybe a couple of others for a month or so. I stocked up on ammo last summer because I felt about 90% certain Obama would be reelected. No surprise to me at all. I stocked up because I knew the NRA would hype the situation 3x's what they did in 08. I like to shoot and I am not paying through the nose for it. I bought Black Hills Ammo for what folks are paying for generic 223 or 5.56 now. Of course I bought some generic also. Same with pistol ammo.

I am boycotting ammo and firearms for a while. (Although if I run across an XDs I might cave for it.)

Things have changed due to about 10% Gov't action 40% NRA hype, and 50% panic.

Don't mean to step on any toes or call anyone a coward, but, the situation will improve when folks stop reacting out of fear.

BTW Cheap Ammo For Sale | In Stock Ammunition For Sale has 223, 5.56, 9mm, 45ACP in bulk if your really looking hard. They have pretty good inventory control.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
I work with a guy who buys penny roles every payday. Just a few, couple bucks worth. He sorts through all the roles and pulls out each penny dated before 1982. Repackages the others, and next payday trades for new roles. What does have to do with the topic? This guy follows metal prices and predicts the price of copper will double by the end of the year. coins dated before 1982 are copper; afterward, copper-washed zinc.

If copper continues to increase in value this will mean even higher prices for ammo (or bullets for us reloaders). After supply catches up with demand, prices may not be that great.

Just my $.02 (pun intended!)

-Aimhigh
I've been saving copper for years now. I don't fish for pennies out of rolls, but I keep an eye out in the loose change.
A few years back I was buying 1 lb. pure copper bars and ounce coins. Even my kitchen sink is copper. I had an ant problem but they wouldn't get close to the sink.. Interesting.
I was at the hospital a couple weeks ago and noticed they had copper plated door knobs. Turns out copper kills germs.. So now I keep a copper coin in my pocket and handle it from time to time.

Copper, good stuff.

· Registered
267 Posts
I will not live in fear. I will not react out of fear. I have made reasonable preparations. I have supplies to take care of my boys and I and maybe a couple of others for a month or so. I stocked up on ammo last summer because I felt about 90% certain Obama would be reelected. No surprise to me at all. I stocked up because I knew the NRA would hype the situation 3x's what they did in 08. I like to shoot and I am not paying through the nose for it. I bought Black Hills Ammo for what folks are paying for generic 223 or 5.56 now. Of course I bought some generic also. Same with pistol ammo.

I am boycotting ammo and firearms for a while. (Although if I run across an XDs I might cave for it.)

Things have changed due to about 10% Gov't action 40% NRA hype, and 50% panic.

Don't mean to step on any toes or call anyone a coward, but, the situation will improve when folks stop reacting out of fear.

BTW Cheap Ammo For Sale | In Stock Ammunition For Sale has 223, 5.56, 9mm, 45ACP in bulk if your really looking hard. They have pretty good inventory control.
You may call it fear if you wish. I could argue that point, but won't bother. I'd prefer the label prudence rather than fear, but however you wish to label it, it beats denial. I would offer that if you put a mere 10% blame on the government, you have a little denial yourself. Those in denial have no fear, either.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - some progressive liberal ass hat.

Buying early and in excess is prudent. I'm not buying anything either, not because of price, but because of necessity and the price. I do not NEED, only want.
That's how it works. Increased prices (or in progressive libtard terms, price gouging), saves the supply for those in need. Those who already have will not horde for the price that isn't worth it to them.
Those who have more than they feel they need will release it back into the market at a price they are willing to sell, therefor increasing the supply to those in need.
In the end you have more, that share common cause with you, with what is needed for your shared goals.. In this case I pray it's liberty.

· Registered
298 Posts
I got a good laugh the other night. I've been trying to sell a Lamiglas Fly Rod on Craigslist. Its brand new and comes with a nice storage tube. I had some guy offer 50 rds of Russian, steel cased 7.62x39mm for it. I'm asking $150 for the pole. I so wanted to respond, in a negitive manner, I didn't and just said no thanks. I couldn't believe it though. $12 worth of ammo. REALLY???

401 Posts
You may call it fear if you wish. I could argue that point, but won't bother. I'd prefer the label prudence rather than fear, but however you wish to label it, it beats denial. I would offer that if you put a mere 10% blame on the government, you have a little denial yourself. Those in denial have no fear, either.
"Denial???" Maybe, but it seems the more prudent safe bet is on Gov't inaction rather than Gov't action.

1 - 20 of 564 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.