Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what brass is the best for reloading? I have been saving all the different brass I been shooting from Winchester, Federal, and PMP to name a few. Any thoughts out there?

BUSH SNIPER :cool: :D :) :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have found that any of the commercial brass work well. For optimum accuracy and reliablility don't mix brands. If you are really serious about performance don't mix lots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't been reloading long and have only used Remington brass. I've gotten 6 fireings with healthy loads and only now need to trim the necks. I used a caliper on the new cases and found about 25 out of 100 that were different lenghts. I don't think you would find this with Norma brass which is top notch stuff but it costs ALOT more than the Remington.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I concur with dvdstdg about not mixing brass for optimum accuracy results. When I'm really concentrating on accuracy in rifle loads, I at least match headstamps (carefully--you can find variations in lettering style even within same brand and caliber) and weight cases after trimming and chamfering. The closer the weight range, the better the results.

Of course, for plinking and up-close drills, this makes little or no difference.

For handgun brass, I really like Starline brand brass. Price is reasonable, especially if you buy a thousand at a time.

Best regards,
Johnny

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) F.Y.I I have found that the P.M.P is a some fine brass, but the primer pocket must be either reamed or swagged.

I have had the best results with either Win or Fed.

But with all of the "Cheaper" brass make sure to check on the location of the Flash hole within the primer pocket. Even with the better brass it will occationally come from the factory with the hole off center. Which can effect long range accuracy.
So I just toss them if their like that.:usa:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been reloading since the mid 60's and have always found that Win. brass has the greatest capacity, the Federal the second most and then the Remington with the least amount of capacity. The Win. seems to get the shortest case life with heavy charges. For handgun brass I have gone exclusively with Starline or Federal if not available from Starline.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used what I had pretty much, and that's been Remington for the most part, with some other minority stuff included. I've been reloading for my .44 magnum Anaconda and my Springfield 1911 for a while now and don't buy co mmercial ammunition anymore.

I just ordered 1000 cases for my Anaconda from Starline, and I'm looking forward to getting those, but they tell me that they are back-ordered a week on that so it might take a while. I guess .44 magnum is a popular caliber. I know it's not easy to come by brass for them at the range, everyone keeps theirs.

Amy

Reactions: UnionSuit

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought some once fired brass from Scharch Manufacturing
out of Colorado; good brass, but its mixed and thus causes
a few problems. Primer pockets need to be checked closely
and reamed out a bit where necessary.

BTW, Scharch Mfg. Company are good people to do business
with; very nice and courteous. On line order forms are on
their web site.