Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a nice day at the range today, and shot my Mini for the first time after installing a recoil buffer. Now I notice that the brass is flying forward, towards 2 o'clock. Is this normal? Also I noticed some marks on the right-forward side of the rear sight assembly, as if the brass is hitting it there. Could this be causing the brass to deflect forward? Thanks, Paul.

p.s. 0 jams or malfunctions with the Barnaul 62 gr. in my 40 and 30 rd pmi mags.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Mini-14 was bought new in January, and I started seeing those marks on the rear sight base you describe right from the beginning. But as I've shot it in, they seem to appear less and less. My latest trip to the range (yesterday) produced no marks at all. Maybe this is a break-in phenomonon. A little Brownell's 44/40 on a Q-tip will hide the marks, by the way.

As for the forward ejection, I'm not sure why you think this is a bug. Is there some reason to believe that the Mini-14 should expel its brass in some other direction? Mine has always ejected in the way you describe. And for what it's worth, my Romanian SKS also ejects forward and to the right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I'm not sure why you think this is a bug."

Well, I assumed it was unusual since when I eject live rounds from the chamber by pulling back on the bolt the rounds always head to the right and rear. But it just goes to show one should never "assume" anything!! Bottom line is I am satisfied there is nothing wrong with the brass going forwards. Thanks all for the replies.

On another subject I can say the recoil buffer does make a difference in felt recoil...it actually feels springy now...a pleasure to shoot, even more so now.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Just wait till you install a way smaller gas bushing!! It will drasticly reduce recoil.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If I'm not mistaken y'all are talking about the "Standard" as opposed to the Ranch Rifle. The "Ranch" was built so the ejected cases would fling themselves clear of the scope.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think forward to the right is a good direction, especially if your sharing a firing bench. It keeps the hot brass from going down your friends collar. :eek: I'm sure we have all felt that at on time or another. Just bought a mini-14 standard version and can't wait to see where the brass goes.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Paul if you noticed a slight change in direction of the ejected brass it's probably because the bolt has stoped aft travel 1/8" sooner. The smaller gas bushing will help in reducing the brass spinning impact on the outside of the op-rod i.e. less brass marks on the outside of the op-rod, and if you save your brass for reloading, the brass will be in better shape. Course if yer usen dat cheep, no reloadable, russon stuff, who cares, right! Ya know I invested a lot of time preping my brass, so when I'm at the range looking for the brass in the grass, I think I'm going to get a brass catcher. I spend as much time looken as I do shooten. I'd radder be a shootin!

·
No Longer Involved
2,492 Posts
All Mini's I've shot and seen kick out between 3:30 and 4:30.

That being said, the Mini is derivative of the Garand design.

The Garand is supposed to kick out at 2pm!

The extractor (on a Garand) doesn't EJECT, but rather extracts the brass out and up. The oprod, on its forward travel, bats the brass out of the way. This is by design...

So if a minority of Mini's act like their grandpappy Garand, all the better as far as I'm concerned (grin).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts