Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very excitable :eek: RANCH mini-14 with stock rings and scope.
It likes to throw brass 20 and 30 feet at HIGH Velocity in all directions to my right. I have hit other shooters at the range and I have tried to be aware of my brass by putting large peice of cardboard up on the post next to my right side. This helped some but had two spent rounds go through the cardboard. I have heard about brass catchers that fit Mini-14's but do they fit the Ranch type with scope mounted on the rifle? If so where is the cheapest place to get them? Have lots of other questions too but will post later.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mike,

I would like to find the same thing. I usually clear about 30ft. of bench rests at my local range. After being nailed a few times by hot brass, the shooters usually pack up their gear and leave. Let me know if you find anything.

[email protected]

Stinger.22

:rapid:

·
Registered
175 Posts
:rapid: Choate machine and tool makes a brass catcher for the mini im not sure what their addy is but they have a website hope this helps.... gut

·
Registered
716 Posts
When I went to the range last time I was lauching brass a distance I paced to be more than 50 feet!

That catcher really is nice if you want to keep friends at the range!

G

·
The Choate Brasscatcher is OK if you dont want to reload the brass :^( Mine just smashes the neck flat on a high % of the cases. Does keep the muttering on the line down though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another option is the NW Shooters Supply gas bushing kits. These kits include three bushings with different size holes, all are much smaller than the oriiginal Ruger bushing which is way too big. This improves accuracy and reduces stress on everything especially the scope if any. I use the middle size and it reliabily drops the brass within in 3-4 feet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey SkunkHunter :usa:

Sounds like a good ideal too BUT are you limited to using ONLY good quality ammo to prevent jams?
I sometimes like to shoot the "cheap" stuff just to have some burnum-up fun. :rapid:
Does this smaller hole gas bushing kit promote jams with the cheaper ammo?
Thanks for the input though also could you insert the hyperlink to the www site you are talking about

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike H.,
Sorry I overlooked the rest of your post. Reliability is the result of pressure in this case not the quality of ammo. I was speaking in terms of accuracy as far as good bullets. The kit has three bushings and instructions on how to pick the correct one. My guess is any facotry ammo will cycle the gun reliabily with the middle or bigger bushing. EAch gun is different I suppose.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can anyone say, what is a good trigger job, on the mini 14, what would the trigger go down to? what pounds.

Is it possible to get the trigger down to 1.5 pounds, or is this to dangerous?.

I have seen a Ruger 10/22 at 1.5 pounds, I would like to get my mini 14 to this level. I live in New Zealand & it's hard to find a good gunsmith that will do what you say, not what he wants to do.

There is a gunsmith in Hamilton, that I have been recommended, I think I will try him.

:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts