Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on this PPU 123gr FMJ 7.62x39 ammo? I have a mini 30 tactical that dislikes steel cased ammo for sure, it digests it just fine but produced some pretty sloppy groups with it. I've been looking for brass cased 7.62 ammo but it's hard to find, then this PPU stuff popped up for sale and I just need a little education by someone who has used this before I buy it. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's essentially an updated M67 Yugoslavian load and is very good, accurate ammo. If you can get it, the only thing better would be PSP.
Myself, I have supplies of Hansen, M67 and some PPU PSP. Hansen was a distributor for the ammo in the 80s and 90s. The M67 was the military load for 7.62x39, made with corrosive Berdan primers intended for use in very cold weather.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any opinions on this PPU 123gr FMJ 7.62x39 ammo? I have a mini 30 tactical that dislikes steel cased ammo for sure, it digests it just fine but produced some pretty sloppy groups with it. I've been looking for brass cased 7.62 ammo but it's hard to find, then this PPU stuff popped up for sale and I just need a little education by someone who has used this before I buy it. Can anyone help?
Sorry I have no experience with tthe product, but do you mind sharing a link?

·
Registered
494 Posts

You're welcome.

·
Registered
38 Posts

You're welcome.
And thank You kind Sir.

·
Registered
38 Posts

You're welcome.
Except for one thing.
All three are out of Stock.
And thank You very much.
I'm sure it's available somewhere.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a good load of it. The brass is quality. The loaded ammo can be purchased for close to the same cost as virgin brass. Thus a "free" firing. I have an unopened case of the PPU M67. Haven't shot it and compared to the regular blue box ammo. One thing is that I've never achieved stellar accuracy from it. Much better than any steel cased ammo but not as good as my hand loads. Thus I mainly shoot the hand loads at the range and save the Factory PPU if needed. Member Sandog has had excellent accuracy from his 189 series Mini 30.

I recently grabbed 500 rounds of Sellier & Belliot "Tactical" x39mm. Brass cased and appearance was excellent. I put a round in my Hornady Headspace Comparator and it reads a very tight headspace which should enhance accuracy. Sellier & Belliot is usually on the "hot" side so I imagine it should perform well. I paid a little higher but have seen it much cheaper in a few other shops. (after my purchase):poop: Without giving the S&B a test run and knowing how the PPU performs in my 30 Tactical......I'd roll the dice and buy the S&B if you can find it.

Bepe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have access to the Sellier & Bellot 7.62x39 brass at $11.99 a box, I'll purchase a few boxes and see how it shoots.
Thank you.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That is an excellent price. Lowest I have seen it was 14.99 at on of the haunts. Please post a follow up as I'm very curious. I have shot a fair amount of .223 S&B from my Colt AR and it always shot very respectable.

As I said ....all visual indicators on the S&B appear that it is high quality ammo.

I'll be watching the thread. Thanks.
Bepe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok well I bought 10 boxes to try it out and here is the link if anyone else wants to purchase any. it's in stock as of now.
Sellier & Bellot SB76239A Rifle 7.62x39mm 123 gr Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) 20 Bx/ 30 Cs | GunZoneDeals.com Inc.
Wow! When I got to that deal they were already limiting the orders to only 5 boxes. I wanted 25 boxes honestly.
I did a search and came up with this though:
Sellier & Bellot 7.62x39mm Ammo 124 Grain FMJ (targetsportsusa.com)
Then they suckered me into their Prime Membership for an additional $28 off of my order of a case of 600 rds.
Anyone have any thoughts on Target Sports Ammo Prime Membership club?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've been a member of Prime since shortly after Target implemented it. Thought it might be a gimmick but I live in a Commie state and most ammo companies won't ship here. Target does. A valid copy of CCL is required for their records. Why shouldn't a lawfully licensed permit holder be able to purchase ammo. There is no lawful reason for it to be prohibited. Yet most companies refuse. I applaud Target for having the seeds to do so and not being intimidated by the RAT powers.

Back on topic.....if you order frequently from them, you will recoup your membership fee ten fold. Free shipping and a discount over list prices. A once a year order.....maybe not.

Keep us filled in on the S&B.
Bepe

·
Registered
642 Posts
Heavyfoot.....you got the correct ammo in the "Tactical". I don't know if the OP got the same stuff. Regardless the S&B is all very good. I only did a hands on with the Tactical and it looks sweet.
Bepe

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,641 Posts
PPU is good stuff in my Mini-30 and CZ 527. I hate to rain on the parade, but I wouldn't buy from Gun Zone Deals. They're on my list of scam/unprofessional/questionable dealers. I had the worst experience with them when they were Gun Pro Deals.

They got such a bad rep they changed their name. You may get your order or you may not. Hope you do. I recommend people stay away from gunZoneDeals.com Buyer beware and all that. Stick with reputable people like Target sports.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I bought 500 rounds of PPU FMJ about 7 years ago, tried it and ordered another 1000 rounds.
PPU brass has been the basis for my handloads, their brass is great stuff.
Not as accurate in my Minis as some (Silver Bear), but PPU is better than most.
When it bought mine it was 50 cents a round, .70 cents isn't bad in today's market if they have it in stock.

400 yard target (shot with a 200 yard zero and Primary Arms 3x prism scope), elevation drop not compensated for.
Best was Silver Bear, then PPU ( yellow ringed bullet holes), then Red Army Boattail. My Nosler Varmeggedon handloads grouped well but hit the bottom edge of the target ( unmarked bullet holes):

·
Registered
52 Posts
PPU has always been my first choice for brass cased 7.62x39.
Geco and S&B are also good, but unless there’s more than a penny or two less per round, I pick PPU. PPU is also available in a soft point round nose (SPRN) that uses what looks like a 30-30 bullet. It’s a bit shorter but runs fine in all my AKs & 7.62x39 ARs and my VZ58.
The M67 is a new flavor, so it may not be as cheap as ‘plain old’ PPU 7.62x39 fmj.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts