Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read quite a bit about trying to make mini's more accurate. Has anyone out there tried using the abrasive bullets to lap a barrel?
If so were the results any good?

·
Registered
184 Posts
:rolleyes: I haven't personally,but have heard of some that have. Most of the bench shooters around this part of the country,lap their barrels to help decrease fouling in the bore. Ron :2guns:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I firelaped my bore. It improved accuracy by an average of 1/4" at 100 yds.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Has anyone ever used bore paste for polishing? I was checking at a local gun store and the clerk put me on to Tectra bore paste. It has a fine grit to remove copper and lead fouling. Even on a clean bore when I used the paste I could tell it was removing some metal, the patches came out black. I was considering getting the fire lap kit from Final Finish. Has anyone else used a bore paste?

--thanks tri70 :usa: :ar15:

·
Registered
184 Posts
:lol: tri70 I have used bore paste,in my 22-250's mostly to smooth out the barrels while breaking them in. It is alot of work,first to do the job right you have to pour a slug (hot lead) for the barrel. Then you apply the paste to the slug,and lap the barrel. I have never fire laped a barrel,but I'm hearing alot about it from shooters. It is much easier,and faster than the hand method. Is it as good? I don't know. Most bench shooters use the slug method,but again,we are talking about 600-800 dollar barrels. They don't wand anything to happen to them too fast! Ron ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Firelaping is good for removing machine marks from factory barrels barrels. However I would never firelap and quality barrel as there are no machine marks in them. The benchrest shooters hand lap because it can be more easily controlled how polished they want the bore. The barrels they use are also of very high quality so there are not on real tight spots or machine marks that need to be removed through firelaping, also most custom barrels are hand lapped to begin with. A guy on SnipersHide reported "The throat was pushed .0012 by the abrasives." Now this is important in your precision rifle, but the mini is cut no where near that perfect to worry about that small throat damage.
I polished my mini's barrel with some tight fitting patches and some polishing compound I had. I dont know if it improved accuracy as I did this durring the break in period. Happy shooting -Carnifex :sniper:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Well I fell for that one. Normally I look at the post date before answering. This one is a bit old. Like 2001! :blink:

Barrel break in will help smooth a new barrel. I broke in my new barrel first. Then laped it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts