Perfect Union banner

Bore cleaning question

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Steel_Talon 
#1 ·
I'll be picking up my first Mini in a couple of weeks, a blued Ranch. If you clean the bore with JB compound, will the goop plug up the gas port in the bore? If so, is there a simple way to get it out? I've never seen one of these rifles taken apart before, so I'm sot familiar with the internal workings yet.

#3 ·
A squirt of brake cleaner into the gas pipe will take it right out. It evaporates almost instantly and leaves no residue behind. Two bucks at an auto parts store and one can will last a very long time. Caution: it will also take any and all oil off what it touches, so you may need to run an oily patch down the bore afterward.

#4 ·
I remember reading somewhere that the marine corps m-14 armorors would clean the gun upside down so that no solvent or junk would get into the gas system. This is what my dad did when he used the m-14 in the marines so this is what I do, but i dont think it is a big deal as the little bit of paste or solvent in there will be blasted out with your first shot.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Aldo@Jul 8 2003, 06:40 AM
Used Kroil on all my guns for many years with no problem.Kinda smells "smells like Hoppes #9"and wife gets on me,but it smells like heaven to me! Aldo
Hello Aldo,

Yes it does :D ,.that's one of the things that attracted me to it after hoppes changed formula.

All The Best
Steel :samurai:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.