Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the stainless rifling in the barrel is as durable as the blue steel. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each. Also I'd like to know if there are any advantages or disadvantages of the synthetic V wood.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Biff, I don't think the average shooter can tell much difference in the blue, verses the SS, The reason I chose the SS Ranch minni was I wanted a rugged all weather gun, and never have to worry about rust, as the humidity here is 60-80% on a dry day, and today its 100% & coming down in buckets; whereas my blued Rem. I oil it down every month year around, and worry about rust. I wont ever have to have an expensive blue job on my SS mini either. The synthetic is supperior to the wood stock in that wood; is heaver, warps, expands, contracts, and the mini stock is slick ( almost droped mine a couple of times), The synthetic is more stable, lighter, easier to glass bed, and more accurate. If ya like the wood look I'd go with a lamminated stock. Its a little heaver, but is a thing of beauty. I took my slick wood stock, and installed a Hogue. It is fiberglass with a rubber coating, making it easy to grip, light wt.,and is quiet. So its mostly a thing of preference. Go with what ya like.

·
Registered
685 Posts
hey biff, not sure if there is a differance between the two and if there it is small. second the wood vs. syn synthetic does not allow moisture to affect its structure and cause swelling and warping, however if you get one cold enough(some ny deer seasons) and it has the a two piece stock(shotguns) it can become loose as the plastic contracts . if you want to have a wood look, laminates are for you. a process that uses thin strips of wood and resin under pressure that makes impervious to the elements. choices choices choices
:usa: :cool:.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Biff--- I don't know where granbury is but it sounds like it's north of wet. I spent 12 years in the Houston/Galveston area & you couldn't get me to buy a blued weapon if you taped a $20 bill to it. I fought rust to the point of being in tears. Stainless is much lower upkeep. Plastic stocks are nice but the solid warmth of a good piece of wood is hard to beat. It's all in what you settle for. You know the climate where you live, you decide. As far as which steel is the best, look at what barrels the benchrest people are using. Lots of them brag about how thier SS barrels are going 5K rounds before failing. This is compared to 2 or 3K for the chromemoly (Blue) barrels. But then these guys are dealing with thousanths of an inch with thier scores. To me, unless you can get a hell of a deal on a blued Mini I'd go for the Stainless. There isn't any difference in accuracy as far as I know.

Good shooting
Bushwack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts