Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to have one of these and have heard both pros and cons on them. Got a good deal on it some time back but have to put a little $$$ into it to get it right. Barrel was shot out as it did'nt pass the bullet test and the rounds were all over the place. Other than that it functioned flawlessly. Guess ya have to take the good with the bad. I have been tempted to rebarrel it in .308 but I already have a nice S/A NM in .308 and may just as well leave this one on ought 6. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks. Six Out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good question.

My very first Garand was a Blue Sky import. I slowly improved the wood and other parts to make a nice looking rifle. The barrel was almost shot out, TE of 8 and a loose muzzle. Even though, it was still doing well for plinking at soda cans.

I recently had a new tube re-barreled onto that rifle. A local gunshop (Armory of Orange) had a good deal on re-barreling work for some M1 rifles. Out the door, it ran $150.00 for a like new VAR Danish 30-06 barrel mounted onto my rifle. Test fired and timing improved. The TE is less than 2 and a tight muzzle.

I never gave up on that M1 rifle, even though it was a Blue Sky, shoot out dog. Now I have a rifle that looks good and shoots really straight :) I can only suggest that you do what you want to your rifle. 308 ammo is far cheaper and pleantiful, but the 30-06 is the original bad boy for the Garand.

I vote for,,,,,Get a replacement 30-06 barrel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I was kinda leanin' towards staying with the original caliber configuration as it was .... for originality purposes if anything else. Preciate the comments sir! Six Out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
CMP has GI barrels at reasonable prices. Rebarrel your Blue Sky and you not only have a good shooter but you get rid of the "Blue Sky" import marks on the barrel as well.

Wizard

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Wizard ..... Kinda like "killin' two birds with one stone". Sounds like a definate winner to me. Have a great day and thanks for the heads up! ;) Six Out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that you must be a member of a CMP affiliated club or state association in order to buy from CMP. I think that membership in the Garand Collectors Association also qualifies. Check out the CMP website at http://www.odcmp.com.

HTH

Wizard

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the price was right, I certainly would not turn down a Blue Sky import. The ones I have seen usually had so-so replacement stocks, pretty good action parts and barrels that TE'd at 5+, and may or may not shoot. With replacement barrels available at reasonable prices, these guns can become good shooters without breaking the bank.

Wizard

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Blue-Sky import had a fat cow of a beat up stock. The barrel was shot out and the bolt had to be replaced. I had it re-barreled with a new .308 one and had a new bolt installed. I kept the stock, just refinished it and had it glass bedded. It's not real pretty, but it shoots pretty good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wasn't the "Blue Sky" and "Arlington Arms" the same company, different stampings? I have one of the latter.... and it too needed a barrel.

May I ask what the going price of these Garands are......for reference....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a nice looking M-1 with a Springfield armory
receiver. But when I took it home and cleaned it, I find a
" Blue Sky" marking on the barrel. Did I get taken, or are
some of these things ok? I didn't get a chance to shoot
it yet, but from this thread I get the impression I should
look up my seller and have a talk with him.

'

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
daj .....

I'd have to say that it may depend on what you gave for the weapon and whether or not you feel any pertinent info was held back by the seller or its quite possible that some sellers do not have the knowledge to realize what they have when they released it. Several years back I gave about $500 for mine and replaced the beater stock with a super nice laminated from Boyds that really dressed it up nicely. It always functioned flawlessly and never gave me any problems with the exception of I could'nt do very well when down at the local range.

It was at that time that another shooter assisted me with a bullet drop check of the muzzle at which time it was learned that the barrel had been shot out. It was then time to make the decision for a rebrrel job which then made it an excellent shooter. Some of the Blue Skys were in much better shape than mine but then that was due to my ignorance at the time I made my purchase. Henceforth ... I now do the bullet drop check on future purchases as well as a good once over before I simply "jump on the sale".

Hope this helps ...

Six

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought my own Blue Sky in '91 for $240.
Bore was horribly ugly, but surprisingly accurate. Early Springfield Receiver. Wood was as expected.

Bought a real nice CNC-milled Walnut stock from Fajen in '98, for ~$75, before he(?) closed the doors / sold the brand.

Love reloading for it, love shooting it, always a hit at the range :)

Overall a fine deal then, and considering the guns selling these days with GI parts kits bolted on new receivers for $500+, glad I found / own it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts