Perfect Union banner

Blasting away with my AC556

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul556 
#1 ·
Me and a friend took my AC556 to the range Sunday with 1000 rounds of .223 and had some real fun! We went through 1/2 the can - I wanted to save some for later.:ar15:

My gun is the one with the factory folder and short 13" barrel. It functioned flawlessly with a PMI 40 round mag and with the factory 20 round mag. I did notice that there were bright spots on the PMI feed lips where it looks like the bolt was hitting the lips - this didn't happen on the factory rugger mag.

When I inserted the MGW mag, it just couldn't keep up with the full auto rate of fire - jammed way too much on full auto, but seemed to work ok in semi. Plus the MGW was just too akward with the short barreled rifle. I'm going to be stocking up on PMI 40's and Rugger 30's when I can find them at a decent price. I haven't decided what to do with the MGW mag yet, I might just keep it because they are getting pretty scarce - what the heck? Or maybe I'll sell or trade it - don't know yet.

This gun gets hot! REAL HOT!!! I burned my hand several times on the gas block. And the plastic handguard is not much help. This gun really needs a forward grip - have any of you seen one made for a factory folder? I did let the gun cool down some after each mag was fired, and we were mostly shooting it in tri-burst mode - we weren't too hard on it. But it takes a while for it to cool down! I don't know how accurate it was, I'll have to check that out at a later time. For now, all I can say is that I just love my cute little lead hose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, I had to shoot it at an indoor range. That part sucked!!! There is only one range open to the public that allows C3 rifle cartridges, and their range time ain't cheap!!!! I can't bitch too much, at least they allowed full-auto rifles, no other range would. Oh, they will let you shoot Mac10's all day long, just not rifle cartridges - apparently the ceiling must be reinforced with backstop material, as many people who shoot a machine gun for the first time (or let their girlfriends shoot it) have no concept of muzzle rise. And the short-barreled AC556 does take a little bit of respect and know-how to control the muzzle rise.

The next day, I applied for a membership at a private outdoor range - three visits there will pay for the yearly membership, compared to what I paid at the indoor range. AND THEY LET YOU SHOOT ANYTHING YOU WANT AND AT (just about) ANY THING YOU WANT ON THEIR PLINKING RANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rapid:

#4 ·
Originally posted by redchip
Me and a friend took my AC556 to the range Sunday with 1000 rounds of .223 and had some real fun! We went through 1/2 the can - I wanted to save some for later.:ar15:

My gun is the one with the factory folder and short 13" barrel. It functioned flawlessly with a PMI 40 round mag and with the factory 20 round mag. I did notice that there were bright spots on the PMI feed lips where it looks like the bolt was hitting the lips - this didn't happen on the factory rugger mag.

When I inserted the MGW mag, it just couldn't keep up with the full auto rate of fire - jammed way too much on full auto, but seemed to work ok in semi. Plus the MGW was just too akward with the short barreled rifle. I'm going to be stocking up on PMI 40's and Rugger 30's when I can find them at a decent price. I haven't decided what to do with the MGW mag yet, I might just keep it because they are getting pretty scarce - what the heck? Or maybe I'll sell or trade it - don't know yet.

This gun gets hot! REAL HOT!!! I burned my hand several times on the gas block. And the plastic handguard is not much help. This gun really needs a forward grip - have any of you seen one made for a factory folder? I did let the gun cool down some after each mag was fired, and we were mostly shooting it in tri-burst mode - we weren't too hard on it. But it takes a while for it to cool down! I don't know how accurate it was, I'll have to check that out at a later time. For now, all I can say is that I just love my cute little lead hose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

#6 ·
Redchip,

Glad to hear your form 4 came through. Do you have a .22 conversion kit? If not you need to get one. It is a blast on full auto. I shoot way more .22 than 5.56. Post some pictures on the galery!

I hear you about the burns. Every time I shoot I get burned. I bet you could bolt a rail to the bottom of the stock for a verical grip. Might want to buy a plastic folding stock to cut up as the wood stock is kinda expencive.

Happy shooting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.