Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got herself a Savage Axis, and I think a good upgrade for her would be a Bipod. What are some good options for a Bipod for this gun? The gun is chambered in .223 if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Whats your budget?

Harris is very good and a 6''-9'' base model is ~$70 and will last you a very long time. Lighter than all the equivalent, cheaper ones I have held too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No real budget. Any ones that mount in place of the sling swivel? I dont want to modify the stock if at all possible.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah the Harris' do. That brand would be the one I reccomend. The have many different variations and are very high quality

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nope, it attaches to the sling swivel directly. Thats the one I have as well, great bipod.

One thing, if it comes loose every now and then after a few shoots (completely normal) then use some blue loctite on the screw and that should fix it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was looking for a bipod as well, I just bought the Savage Axis 30.06, will this bipod hold up to the 30.06? If the sling swivel is used will the bipod allow you to swivel from side to side?

Nope, it attaches to the sling swivel directly. Thats the one I have as well, great bipod.

One thing, if it comes loose every now and then after a few shoots (completely normal) then use some blue loctite on the screw and that should fix it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My dad has a Harris and uses it on his 308 so I dont see why it wouldn't hold up to an -06.

Harris makes a swivel model. It will have an "S" in its name.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks Pet-Rock, if the "s" is in the name I'm guessing the swivel is not an accessory for the bipod itself. I'll see if I can find a "s" model around here.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Oh, hold on a minute.

Your talking about actually rotating the gun left to right.

You are going to need a rail to accomplish that. Harris has an attachment that connects to the rail, and you hook the bipod onto that.

The "S" models let the gun cant left and right, but not turn. Does that make sense?

Look here on the Harris homepage for that attachment. You should be able to find it somewhere to buy it.
Harris Bipods

·
Registered
11 Posts
Harris 6-9 inch have used on every thing from 22lr though .375 H&H mag.. Attach to sling swivel and then attach sling. One must watch synthetic stocks often flex and can change point of aim.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The rifle I want to put the bipod on doesn't have a rail. It does have a sling, I was wanting the bipod to have the capabilities to move left and right with the sling bipod. I thought it would have that capability, thanks for the info I'll have to do a little more investigating.

Oh, hold on a minute.

Your talking about actually rotating the gun left to right.

You are going to need a rail to accomplish that. Harris has an attachment that connects to the rail, and you hook the bipod onto that.

The "S" models let the gun cant left and right, but not turn. Does that make sense?

Look here on the Harris homepage for that attachment. You should be able to find it somewhere to buy it.
Harris Bipods

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ruger had the one they sell on sale recently, $25 or so I think they were. Picked up a few of them. Same design as my Harris and seem just as good.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Harris 6-9 inch have used on every thing from 22lr though .375 H&H mag.. Attach to sling swivel and then attach sling. One must watch synthetic stocks often flex and can change point of aim.
I have a savage edge (now axis) in .308 and one in .223. They are not good bipod shooters due to this flex. It takes more willpower than i have to not pivot and flex the stock on the next shot at a different target. On a bag or soft rest the problem doesn't exist. Perhaps a monopod where the swivel stud is would work too. As a reference, my .308 shoots consistently around 2 inch groups + or - 1/2" at 200 yards with my handloads. With a bipood they are 4 inches and up and not very consistent at all.

Maybe some epoxy in the forearm would fix this but i like the lighter weight when i hunt with the rifles and just a sling.

God Bless!

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts