Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Yes, the choate folding stock can be bedded. However it is made of a type of plastic, and has little to no fiberglass. To make the resin stick, you have to drill several 1/8" holes in the inside of the stock (careful not to drill thru!) to form mechanical locks for the resin to bond into. Because of the folding stock moving parts your group may not tighten up as much as a solid stock, but your flyers should go away.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I expect that your gas block is heating up enough to apply pressure to the barrel as the block expands to bear tighter against the fore end of the stock. Mine shoots tighter as it heats up also. Beading the receiver may help with fliers but I wouldn't expect much improvement with tightening the group. The radio antenna barrels that Ruger puts on the Mini are the culprit.

I have bedded my reciever and the metal insert that fits the action to the stock and haven't gotten much improvement. I have been using my peice of junk for groundhogs while I am waiting for my R5 to be built and I won't take a shot over a 100 yards because I have zero confidence in the Mini's ability to goup three consecutive shots in under four inches.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Marcos, I say thank the Ruger team for making your gun get better as it heats up.

I'm an engineer, and that's the kind of trend we like to see in a machine. In this case it's your mini-14.

For a machine to improve during worst-case operating conditions is a good thing. That is considered good engineering.

I'd be really interested to know if all mini-14's behave this way. If this is a natural for mini-14's, that would be worthy of distinction.

KC

:usa:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'll need to check some more on this, but I may be seeing the same phenomenon. During 20 round 20 minute slow fire this morning, I didn't shoot worth a crap, with flyers in the 8 ring in a 600yd simulation (reduced course), and the rest in the 9's mostly, and a couple of 10's and an X.
However, go to rapid fire, and I tightened up the score considerably (usually, it's the other way around), 9's 10's and 4 X's
First time for this gun in a HPSR any gun match, but I just wanted to try it, I've been getting badgered to do it.
Still, I scored a 712. :( For a lousy $5. Oh well, it was fun.
:ar15:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts