Perfect Union banner

Best US made 9mm

36K views 61 replies 43 participants last post by  M1Aholic 
#1 ·
Eventually I am going to want a 9mm automatic pistol to round out my collection. Forgive the flag-waving, but I always buy US-made guns, so I will be limiting my choice within that parameter. I am particularly interested in the various Ruger pistols. Purpose is home defense and target shooting at the range for fun (not competition). I do not ever carry, so size is not a big concern. I will probably want to mount a laser on this pistol, so that is a criteria, i.e. accessory rail.

Being of the old school, I am somewhat leery of the new non-metallic components but I suppose this is the wave of the future.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

#2 ·
I agree on the distaste of the polymer pistols nowadays as I use my revolvers as my main home defense and CC choices.

HOWEVER, I, like you have decided to take the plunge and although I am specifically looking at a 40 cal. Ruger (SR40), you can't go wrong with the Ruger SR9 which I believe fits the bill.

Of the few 9mm I have shot, I can say I have shot the SR9 and loved it but never had an interest in 9mm. I'm sure others can comment on the S & W M&P series and the XD series from Springfield.

GL

#3 ·
I agree on the distaste of the polymer pistols nowadays as I use my revolvers as my main home defense and CC choices.

HOWEVER, I, like you have decided to take the plunge and although I am specifically looking at a 40 cal. Ruger (SR40), you can't go wrong with the Ruger SR9 which I believe fits the bill.

Of the few 9mm I have shot, I can say I have shot the SR9 and loved it but never had an interest in 9mm. I'm sure others can comment on the S & W M&P series and the XD series from Springfield.

GL
Thank you for the input. Yes, I am looking at the SR9. Out of curiosity, why the new fangled 40mm caliber? Just want the extra punch?

#7 ·
The Ruger P89 series would fit your bill for American made, all metallic, durable and relaible 9mm. Parts are available and mags are plentiful at good prices

Although looked down on by some...they have proven to be a great seller since the late 80's...early 90s. They are really great guns IMO that are readily available on the used market at extremely low prices.

Even though I have considerably more expensive pistols in my collection of "premium" hardware...I have valued my P89 and P91 through the years for their toughness and dependabilty.

#31 ·
The Ruger P89 series would fit your bill for American made, all metallic, durable and relaible 9mm. Parts are available and mags are plentiful at good prices

Although looked down on by some...they have proven to be a great seller since the late 80's...early 90s. They are really great guns IMO that are readily available on the used market at extremely low prices.

Even though I have considerably more expensive pistols in my collection of "premium" hardware...I have valued my P89 and P91 through the years for their toughness and dependabilty.
No accessory rail,
but +1 on the P89
I've owned one since 1997 and boy - it's a dependable piece.

#11 ·
+1 ^^^

My P89 shoots anything I feed it. Not a single jam, misfeed, or other type of hiccup. Easily approaching 1000 rds down the pipe.

I'm presently considering an SR9c as a carry weapon.
My SR9c is also an EDC firearm, love it, especially with the 17-round backup magazine. I like the look of the P89 above most every non-1911 9mm out there, always hear nothing but good things about it's functions.

#14 ·
Being of the old school, I am somewhat leery of the new non-metallic components but I suppose this is the wave of the future.

I would appreciate any thoughts.[/QUOTE]

We have an MP9, P89 and an XD9. As said before the XD is not US made. That said it and the MP9-P89 are all very good guns.

On the made is USA subject, my wife and I just returned from Lowes, ee are replacing our kitchen sink. 90% of their SS sinks were chinese made and ~50% of the fake granite and other non SS sinks were made in other countries. We found a Kohler that we like and it did not say where it was made-the clerk called them and was told "we are a global company", meaning probably china. We then tried to buy a lawn rake and.........................guess what.:angry: Good thing, is I don't have to change the sink and can't rake the yard.:rolleyes:

Semper Fi

#16 ·
since the op asked which was the 'best' us made 9mm I'll have to say the 3rd generation S&W. came in several different finishes and either steel, alloy or s/s frame.
myself I have both a 5906 (s/s) and a 5903 (alloy frame, s/s slide) both good shooters and built like a tank.
they do have large grip frames though being a double stack magazine so those with smaller hands may not find them comfortable.
no longer made but lots of them in the 'pipeline'
also the 'value line' 915 and 910 (10 shot mag) may be a consideration. good 9mm's.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
A Ruger SR9 or SR40 wouldn't be a bad choice. I know I've seen the SR40 and SR9 full size for $379. You would just need to search around a bit.

If I was purchasing under the same guidelines. I would probably opt to spend a little more and get a S&W M&P. I prefer M&P over the SR pistols. Either way you go though you'll have a fine pistol.

The 3rd gen S&W pistols are great if your on a tight budget or prefer a steel frame.

#21 ·
A Ruger SR9 or SR40 wouldn't be a bad choice. I know I've seen the SR40 and SR9 full size for $379. You would just need to search around a bit.

If I was purchasing under the same guidelines. I would probably opt to spend a little more and get a S&W M&P. I prefer M&P over the SR pistols. Either way you go though you'll have a fine pistol.

The 3rd gen S&W pistols are great if your on a tight budget or prefer a steel frame.

There were Smiths with steel frames after the "39" and the "59"? I thought they were all alloy after the change to 3 digits, I know my 669 was. BTW, I would stay away from the 3 digit guns, mine galled and had to be sent back twice.

#24 ·
Until you mentioned the accessory rail, I was going to suggest you look at the Kahr K9. It's and all stainless 9mm. I guess that leaves STI International, Springfield Armory, Kimber and Colt. You ruled out the Rugers I think and my gunsmith warned me off S&W... I believed him. Of those mentioned, I've only owned the Kahr and Ruger nines.

#27 ·
it's a toss-up as to durability I suppose between the Pseries Ruger and the 3rd Gen 5900's or 915 S&W.
IMO the S&W has the better trigger and have shot better (tighter groups but not really meaningful when considering combat accuracy) for me. the MecGar 17rd mags slip right in too. and the KelTec 2000 can be had to take the S&W mags interchangeable
Ruger no longer makes the 9mm carbine but that one IIRC takes the P series mags.

#30 · (Edited)
Nothing beats an FNP-9 for me. FNH is actually right here in Columbia, SC less than 2 miles down the road from me. you have FNP-9 & FNX-9 to choose from as well as .40 & .45 models.

I have ditched all my Eurotrash polymers and my other USA Made 9's except for 1 OD G19 and 1 Kahr CW9.

#33 ·
FN has a fine reputation. Trouble is, it isn't very common in the US. That said, Sig's are far more abundant. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 226 or 229. If you are so lucky to live next to the FN plant, then having one is great - you can always get parts as you need them. But for the rest of us, I think Sig does a better job as an overall weapon.

#35 ·
Sig is US Made?

The point is not that I live close. That does not set the "parts availability" bar. Does living close to Geneseo, IL make Springfield Armory the company to buy from? Does that make SA "Made in USA"? Not really. They are gun & parts brokers. Only a very small part of their product line is even made here.

Same with many Sigs, like the P229. The frame is made in Germany and only the slide is made in USA.

The point is it meets the OP stated preference to buy American and meet the specs.

#34 ·
When I think of 9mm I always think of Europe.

I own a couple of 9mm's but they are of European origin. I guess I'm showing my age, or at least the age of those that raised me, as I will always think of the .45 ACP when I think of an American caliber.

Dev, you bring up a great point, as always mate.

Biker

#36 ·
I thought I was fairly clear, but perhaps not.

If you check Top Gun Supply, Midway, or Brownell's, you find pretty much no parts for FN's other than FAL's. Midway has some magazines, and some holsters, and most of those are for the 5.7 (but some for the 9 & 45). In comparison, check for Sig, and you find a plethora of parts.

So IF you live near the SC factory, I am presuming (but perhaps wrong) that you could go to the factory, where they (hopefully) have a window that you could order and get parts you might need. But here in Gotham it's a lot harder to find FN parts.

Not talking about what part is US mfg vs European, etc. The comment earlier was Sig vs FN, and while I have no issue with quality of FN, I believe it is much easier to find Sig parts.

#37 ·
Got It

You make a good point and I agree. Thanks for clarifying.

That being said, I have not had to buy parts for either of my Sigs or my FNs in the years that I have owned them so for the me the point of spare parts is kinda mute.

Have you had to collect spare parts for your Sig to keep it running? Maybe it shouldn't be in the "Best US made 9mm" thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.