Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for opinions and suggestions. There are so many things for $100 or less, that I just can't make a decision. I own a 581 series Mini-14 ranch rifle. It currently has no upgrades or additional parts.
Here's what I plan on buying, but I can't get them all at once.
-Specter 2-point Sling $42.00
-Hogue Stock $70 - $80
-Recoil Buffer $Cheap
-Magpul Angled Fore Grip $35.00
-Accu-Strut $80.00
-Tech-Sight's Mini 14 Sight $65.00
-Ultimak Rail $139.00
-Burris FastFire w/ Mounts $255.00

Also, if anyone knows a good website that offers these items for less money, please let me know. Most websites offer the Hogue stock for around $58, but then they charge $15-$20 for shipping.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looking for opinions and suggestions. There are so many things for $100 or less, that I just can't make a decision. I own a 581 series Mini-14 ranch rifle. It currently has no upgrades or additional parts.
Here's what I plan on buying, but I can't get them all at once.
-Specter 2-point Sling $42.00
-Hogue Stock $70 - $80
-Recoil Buffer $Cheap
-Magpul Angled Fore Grip $35.00
-Accu-Strut $80.00
-Tech-Sight's Mini 14 Sight $65.00
-Ultimak Rail $139.00
-Burris FastFire w/ Mounts $255.00

Also, if anyone knows a good website that offers these items for less money, please let me know. Most websites offer the Hogue stock for around $58, but then they charge $15-$20 for shipping.
Flash Hider? Choate makes a nice one.

Don't forget, for the Magpul AVG, you'll have to install a Picatinny rail, which will vary in price $10 - $20.

I've seen a video, of a peep doing an install of a AVG on a Houge stock. He got it done but, it was more of a challenge then expect. Because of the rubber overmold.

Bell & Carlson makes a really nice stock. Its cost is a little higher $168. But, your getting a good quality stock.

What about a scope? Or are you just going to run open sights?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I would start with the Tech-Sights.

Then the sling.

If you have the tapered barrel Ranch Rifle, I would do the strut last, as it probably won't make a big difference in accuracy, more of a cosmetic thing. (IMHO)

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flash Hider? Choate makes a nice one.

Don't forget, for the Magpul AVG, you'll have to install a Picatinny rail, which will vary in price $10 - $20.

I've seen a video, of a peep doing an install of a AVG on a Houge stock. He got it done but, it was more of a challenge then expect. Because of the rubber overmold.

Bell & Carlson makes a really nice stock. Its cost is a little higher $168. But, your getting a good quality stock.

What about a scope? Or are you just going to run open sights?
With a flash hider, wouldn't I have to drill? The local Gunshop here charges way too much for gunsmithing, and I refuse to do business with them. Luckily, I have plenty of picatinny rails from past rifles and friends who didn't need them. As for scopes, I just plan on going for a RDS like Burris' Fast Fire, or something cheaper like a Bushnell Trophy Sight.

I would start with the Tech-Sights.

Then the sling.

If you have the tapered barrel Ranch Rifle, I would do the strut last, as it probably won't make a big difference in accuracy, more of a cosmetic thing. (IMHO)
Well, if the Strut is more of a cosmetic thing for tapered barrels, I will probably cross that off my list altogether.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Hogue is well worth the $80. The length of pull is 1" longer and it's a few ounces heavier, but it really improved the accuracy, balance, and handling over the factory synthetic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought lotsa ammo, several extra factory 20-round magazines, and a StripLula ($27.56) first.

Then:
- A 36" NcStar zippered case ($17.50) with five magazine pockets on the outside (fits my ATI when adjusted to shortest position, ymmv).
- The 6" aluminum ATI understock rail (so I can mount my green laser sight and bipod both at the same time).
- $25 worth of 1.25" cotton webbing and parts to make my own sling.

Now looking for a rail-less ventilated upper hand guard, and I think I'll be done.

·
Registered
141 Posts
on the wood ranch rifle??

You could do the 7" Yankee Hill picatinny rail, and Magpul AFG2 for roughly $60 shipped from MidwayUSA. And would have room left on theh rail for maybe a bipod later on or some other accessory.

The stock sights are OK for 100 yards and under, so if you later plan on getting the Burris Fastfire the Tech sights would be a complete waste of money. That would be $65 toward something useful like the rail for the Burris!!!!
Also to me the recoil with these guns is "almost" non-existant so spending money on them would be useless, unless you have really bad shoulder or a VERY bad back.

So thats Almost $75 saved right there. And ive seen plenty of stocks for sale on here used for a better price than you posted up. You may even happen across one that has something on it you want or could get the seller to throw in and sweeten the deal to make a close on it!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
you have a valid point in you post doc!!

That $75 i mentioned could buy you a couple mags. Ive had pretty good luck with my nationals from CDNN, but most on here recommend the factory mags.

Ok i see you have some picatinny rails already so thats $22.5 off my comments.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you have a valid point in you post doc!!

That $75 i mentioned could buy you a couple mags. Ive had pretty good luck with my nationals from CDNN, but most on here recommend the factory mags.

Ok i see you have some picatinny rails already so thats $22.5 off my comments.
The man who sold me the rifle gave me 5 magazines, and he told me to feel free and come pick up more if I want to. He said the people coming into his store aren't interested in .223 or 5.56 rifles, so the magazines have been sitting there for years. I was lucky enough to get 1 30 round, 1 20 round, and 3 15 round mags from him for free.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Man thats awesome!! Get all you can, you could sell them on here if you didnt want them and make a little more pocket money!!!
Since noone wants .223/5.56 from his shop does he have any ammo to sell cheap???

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi USSF06. I'd go for the Specter sling first; have one on my Tactical and love it. I really like the Tech-Site but, like regency says, it would be a waste of money if you're going to mount a Burris FastFire. The Hogue stocks are very nice, but make sure that you really want to change stocks before doing so.

Have fun and good luck!

PS: Almost forgot... buy LOTS of ammo, as much as you can with the leftover $$. You'll have so much fun shooting your Mini that you'll need it! :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's good to read the lop on the hogue. For me that would be a deal-breaker as I am a short guy who finds the stock mini too long when I am in heavy clothes. Something to consider if stocks are part of your plan.$100 and under items are many and varied..where to begin. These guys are steering you straight and i will shut up now.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would go with the tech-sights first. I shot my 581 last weekend, and was surprised at how easy they were to adjust, compared with the original sights. Plus, my groups seem to be cut in half. May be statistically only anecdotal evidence, but still.... (also they are cheap at 65).

tim

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
All of these add up to less than $100:
1. Tech Sights
2. Wilson Combat 1911 Buffers
3. .045", .050", and .055" Gas Port Bushing Set from Walkenbear or GunDoc

...and, IMO, add up to a good improvement. Maybe not measurable, but they made my Mini more fun to shoot, knowing I wasn't giving my brass to the guy in the next county and beating up my scope. Plus the Tech Sights are easily adjusted and have a smaller aperture than the OE sights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For under a $100, send your stock trigger assembly to GunDoc for a custom trigger job. When you get it back and have a chance to use it, you'll know why. JMHO

·
Registered
66 Posts
upgrades

(1) tech sight- $65
(2) 5/32 roll pin instead of bushing kit- $0.40-( fitted inside of stock bushing)

(3) wilson 1911 buffers-6 per package @ $7.00
(4) choate vented hand guard-$15
(5) new gas block screws- $8.00
total=less than $100

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would say Trigger Job would be the best Mod for under a $100
I was wondering when someone would mention a trigger job!

That plus the acraglas bedding kit (4oz) from Brownells ($85 plus $30 for the glass kit) is $115.

GunDoc has videos on his website that show you how to do the bedding so you can do it yourself. Those two get you right around $100 for two of the best mods you can do.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since noone wants .223/5.56 from his shop does he have any ammo to sell cheap???
He only had 4 boxes of Tula ammo, and he threw that in as well. Basically, anything that worked with the Mini-14 he added to the rifle's purchase.

Hi USSF06. I'd go for the Specter sling first; have one on my Tactical and love it. The Hogue stocks are very nice, but make sure that you really want to change stocks before doing so.
The factory stock on my rife is damaged beyond repair. The rear sling mount is torn off (stud as well), and the handguard is cracked. I have an ATI stock, but I prefer the traditional feel. So rest assured, I am positive a new stock is needed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The factory stock on my rife is damaged beyond repair. The rear sling mount is torn off (stud as well), and the handguard is cracked. I have an ATI stock, but I prefer the traditional feel. So rest assured, I am positive a new stock is needed.
Ouch! In that case, you definitely need to get a stock! Again, the Hogue stocks are great, but make sure you compare them with a traditional wood stock. You can find wood stocks in good shape for very reasonable prices.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts