Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
best self defense pump?

-benelli Nova pump (special purpose w/ 18" barrel) ?
-Mossberg 500/590 ?
-Remington 870 ?

or would i be better off with a Benelli m1 tactical?

·
Registered
685 Posts
i have had a defensive 870 for 10 years and would recomend it way over the peice of crap mossbergs. the other shot gun is the win 120 ranger,1200,1300 12ga's they have a rotary lock up style bolt and take any barrels for the 1200,1300 series 12's.both are very reliable. i almost forgot the nova makes more noise than a mossberg. very poor pump fit, i dare to call it a rattle battle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll take these all day long at 2 bills, just tell me where!
This one is NIB and looking for a home, but the price is 3 bills, or less with most anything AR related in trade.
FN 12 ga. //two screw in chokes, rifle sites, extended mag tube, nice gray park. finish, and sysn. stock. Oh and a box.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks for the picture machinegunjo, I like the looks of that gun thats the first one I think Ive seen. Should be a seller. I like the Mossberg model 500 persuader. The price is right and the quality good. In my area it is the most common L.E. shotgun issued. And my home gun is the same. The way I prefer to load it is, first round 00 buck then a slug then own and own. That makes for a good self defense combination against two legged critters as well as four legged ones. The remington 870 and the others all work we just all have our picks. the Mossberg also has an 8 round capacity which is a plus. BOY I like the looks of that FN shotgun.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you are buyin a gun only for self defense at home what difference does it make which short high capacity gun you buy? All you need is one maybe two shots and it has served its purpose. I like a more useful yet lethal combination like the Remington 870 every model of that gun is a shooter. Why do you think more police departments are standardized on that weapon. Why do you think more hunters got started on that gun? Price and reliability would be my guess. The 870 is still my choice to pull out of the safe on weekend rabbit and squirrel trips.:usa:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't stake my life on the 1-2 shot theory, but thats just me better to have more rounds without reloading in a high pressure situation than not and find out the hard way you did need them. But we all have varied opinions which is what keeps all this interesting. I think the older 870's is where the rep came from I doubt it would be as strong if they started with the dimpled new models, atleast as far as the express model. :usa:

·
Registered
279 Posts
If its fire power you seek you can add a magazine extension to the tube for 40 bucks to make it an 8 shot. Then you can remove it and bag some quail on the week end with a plug in for legality. Also made as add ons for the 870...10 round rotary magazines, barrels with tactical mounts, Turkey barrels, short barrels, extreme choked barrels, ...........................ect............all these can be added and subtracted in your garage with basic tools. It is a shame that remington is producing a lower quality model of a great gun, however the action and slide are still the same (which says nothing for fit and finish) and the more expensive models (wingmaster) still look as though they could have been on the shelf in 1976.:usa:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like this 870 with "00". Still looking for a 590 with speedfeed stock,extended mag,heatshield,bayo lug, ghost ring sights and a parkerized finish. Below 300.00(now you know why i'm still looking)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a remington 870 as one of my home defense weapons
for Over 10 years too, Just remember to "relax" your magazine spring every few months if you keep it loaded ,I just keep another
spring and rotate them.A great deal right now in a remington is
the 870 Express "HD" (home defense) it is all parkerized and has a synthetic stock for $265.00 or for $299.00 you can have it with a factory magazine extenson. How can you beat that?
If you want a shotgun that will go bang when it REALLY counts
get the remington ,In MY personal opinion the mossberg and
the new "nova" is garbage. My 2 cents:sniper:

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is my personal experience with this shotgun,Over the years i had two of them FAIL on me in the field which in turn just
spoiled my hunt for the day but god forbid it would have gave up the ghost in a defensive senerio i would not be here to write this
reply.I was attracted to these guns for the same reason millions
of other folks are they are cheap priced.For anyone wanting to buy a mossberg just go to your dealer and compare it side by
side with a remington 870 express which in the same price range
then make your choice.;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Already have and the way the new 870 express's look I wouldn't have one they are far from the 870 that gave Rem their rep.So I still chose the Mossberg and it hasn't failed on me yet in over 500 rounds and doubt it will.And with that PC lock Rem is now installing on their guns guess they won't get any of my money unless I find an older Marine Mag that doesn't have the new lock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I own 3 remingtons with the new j style locks. the keys are still in the boxes and the boxes are on the shelves, all never to be turned by me.

A great solution to a non exsistant problem.

I have fired both guns and the weight alone of the 870 made me shoot better, less recoil, came to shoulder fast, and better feel on the action. However the person who lent me his gun in the field has good things to say about the Mossberg. I am glad. He was there so I wont ever have to look at a 200 dollar mossberg and say "should I"?:usa:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would go with a used Ithaca Model 37.I have 3 and one is from 1947 with over 13,000 rounds thru it not a bit of trouble.Remeber ANY pump can be jamed with the action being short stroked."happens with 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber gun usaully"Pump her hard,keep her clean,use good ammo and any of the Winchester,Remington,Mossberg,Ithaca,even the old High Standard Flight Kings"one of the slickest pumps ever built"will serve you well.Aldo

·
Registered
236 Posts
THE BEST HOME DEFENSE SHOTGUNS WOULD BE A 11/87 POLICE 8 SHOT AUTO OR A BENELLI M-3 AUTO OR PUMP BOTH WITH PISTOL GRIP STOCKS AND BOTH WITH GHOST RINGS I ONLY OWN THE BEST NOTHING ELSE WILL DO.I GOT ABOUT 750.00 IN THE REMINGTON 11/87 AND 900.00 IN THE BENELLI M-3 THE NEXT PROJECT IS A PUMP PROBALLY A 870 MAGNUM POLICE OR A 870 MARINE MAGNUM . :ar15: :cool:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.