Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best self defense loads for your home shot gun.Load your first round with a 2 3/4 in 00 buck,then put a slug behind it. Then keep loading 00buck then a slug, so on and so on. It works really well against four legged predators as well as two. Make sure your gun is in good shape. And I would recommend cylinder bore or modified chokes only.

Good Luck Stay Safe!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have to disagree with you on recomending slugs for a home defense shot gun without knowing what the users application would be, in a residential neighborhood you are putting many
peoples lives in danger if you are forced to shoot an intruder,
the penetration of a slug is just too great for that application.
I spent more than a few years as a firearms salesperson for a major dealer here in new york and most of the people who were buying home defense shotguns were home owners and apartment renters, I knew over penetration was a serious issue
and recomended 00 Buck to home owners and a magnum # 4 "turkey load" for the confined apartment renters .
If your home in a rural setting where over penetration is not
a real issue i still would advise against slugs and recomend a
pistol caliber carbine.anyway this is just my personal opinion.
:sniper:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
At in-house ranges, even a 12ga 1oz load of #9 shot is highly effective. Wth skeet chokes the 12 ft pattern is about 1 inch, at 21 feet it's opened up to about 2 inchs across. And that load is mild enough (for the shooter) that your wife / GF won't be afraid to touch it off.
In handgun terms think 2 215gr bullets at 1200fps (per 1oz target load). Even if the perp is wearing kevlar, he's gonna be laying on the floor and no further threat (while your waiting for the cops)
Doing the buck/ slug thing might open you up to a civil action also, as it's going to look like you were planning to kill, not simply defending yourself.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I can tell you 1st hand what #8 dove loads can do inside. In my line of work I have at times, gone into places where shootings have happened. There was a nut ball that went into a restaurant with a 12ga loaded with #8 dove and killed 4 and put 6 into ICU. There where several holes about the size of a golf ball in the walls and windows. There was not alot of room for the load to spread out. He tour that place apart. A 1 oz. load of #8's being pushed with 3.25 drams, will do alot of damage. After that, my house gun has 1.25 oz. of 7 1/2's, with 3.25 drams. Anything with in 20 to 30 feet will have a hole that I can put my fist into. And out to 25 yards, they my not be dead, but thay would be easy to track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts