Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best red dot out there to take advantage of rugers new built in scoop mounts???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thats a loaded question :p the scope rings are for just that a scope not necessarily red dots. Most red dots are made to fit Weaver, Dovetail or Picatanny rails. I was going to put an Ultimak Rail with a Vortex Strikefire on mine. You can buy rails that will fit the scallops on the receiver. Red Dots depends on what price range you are looking at. I have seen good reviews on a few around the 70-200 dollar price mark including the Burris variants including the Fast Fire II and their micro dot, Vortex Strikefire and SPARC as well as TruGlo and some of the Primary Arms variants. Also there are a few scopes out there you may want to check out like or similar to the Weaver V-series 1-3x20 that will fit in your scope rings without having to buy a rail and still allow quick acquisition.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the mounts over the bolt. Some dude on Youtube made it a science and place his gun in a grip, made it all level, and it took him time.

I live in apartment, I dont have that kind of work bench and stuff to do a real good job.

I just want to slap it on and off.

I am not a hunter, I just target shoot and run and gun... My go is to try to run drills like the military and become an expert killer. :) when the poop hits the fan.

As far as red dot, I like the

Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red/Green Dot Rifle Scope 4 Interchangeable Reticle

Amazon.com: Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red/Green Dot Rifle Scope 4 Interchangeable Reticle: Sports & Outdoors

or

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Sight Riflescope

Amazon.com: Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1xRed Dot Sight Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This Bushnell Trophy 1x28 Red/Green Dot Scope (currently at under $90 10/8/2010) is well made and a bargain compared with other offerings. I am using this scope on my Ruger Mini-14 with excellent results.

PS. I did ditch the supplied rings and bought Ruger mounts, which are necessary w.r.t. Ruger. NOTE: This scope requires 30mm rings. The Ruger rings that come with the mini-14 are for 1" scopes. You will need to purchase 30mm rings from Ruger, or a local gun shop. The rings may be purchased directly from Ruger at [...]

think I found the winner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My suggestion would be shoot he hell out of it with iron sights until you think you are a basd ass then get the dot you will be a better shooter for it IMO. But ya I have heard good things bout the TRS-25 but I think it's a rail mount the other one looks interesting but sounds like you will need to send your 1" rings back to Ruger for 30mm rings which they will do for free as long as you haven't used them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
cool make sure to let us all know how it works out. Sounds cool. I'm waiting a range report and complete review of the Bushnell 1x28 :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
You asked for "The Best".

Aimpoint is the best, take yer pick.
As CQBINKALIFORNIA said, Aimpoint is "the best" and is for serious military use. The company makes sights you can bet your life on under adverse conditions and they are priced accordingly. The $90 sight you are considering is for recreational shooting and is probably "the best" for your use.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on a hard kicking 18" barrel M2 12 Ga I use for Turkey and Hog hunting. Magnum turkey and slug loads don't phase thsi Red Dot a bit. I did have the mounting cross screw break at one point when trying it on another gun, and there was a problem ID'ing the exact model with Bushnell. The crossbolt screw they sent out the first time didn't fit, and they had to send another after figuring out the right part number. Bushnell apparently has some OEM's in China make these and there are different actual part numbers depending on which did the actual manufacturing. If you look on their web site they no longer use the TRS-25 designation but call it a 731303 now. So if you do buy one of those Bushnell Red Dots, make sure you note the actual part number somewhere in case you ever need a part.

If you go with a 30mm tube Red Dot instead check out the Warne Quick Detach rings. If you shop around on the Internet you can get them for the same price as Ruger rings. Being able to pop the red dot on an off without loosing zero, and without tools is a great feature. Especially since your Battery might be dead someday when you are least expecting it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just SENT BACK a Bushnell TRS-25 I ordered from optics planet (who were great BTW). The front lens glass was pushed in on the upper left portion of it, away from the edge of the housing. I took a chance, based on Nutnfancy's review of this particular optic and bought it. I realize it was only $90.00, but it should still be put together properly. It was of course made in china, but I knew that going in. You get what you pay for. Conversely, 3 weeks ago, I bought an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle optic for my AR. What can I say? super high quality, ready to mount and use out of the box. If you at some point think your life might depend on your optic, save your money and get something of higher quality.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have this on my AR but it would be just as good on a Mini-14 tactical.

BURRIS TAC 30

These can be bought for $299. :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Get a scout rail (amega or ultimak) and an eo tech with a qd mount. Your optic will be out of the way if you have to clear a jam, and up front which is a bit quicker. That's what I'd do if I kept a red dot on my tactical...someone already said it - the ruger mounts are better for conventional scopes.

5L

·
Registered
457 Posts
The YouTube video shows using a single regular Ruger compatible 30mm scope ring to mount a red dot sight which is designed for single ring mounting. Those single mount 30mm red dots have specialized mounting rings which are much longer along the body of the scope they hold, and are made to mount securely to a Picatiny or Weaver rail. I tend to question if a single regular ring to the Ruger integral scallop mount will offer enough support to mount it properly.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Burris makes a red dot scope similar to the primary arms scope used in the video that only takes 1 ring. If I ever decide to use a red dot, that setup will be the one I use.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The YouTube video shows using a single regular Ruger compatible 30mm scope ring to mount a red dot sight which is designed for single ring mounting. Those single mount 30mm red dots have specialized mounting rings which are much longer along the body of the scope they hold, and are made to mount securely to a Picatiny or Weaver rail. I tend to question if a single regular ring to the Ruger integral scallop mount will offer enough support to mount it properly.
If you look at the Burris XTS-135 for a good example of a single mount 30mm red dot, Burris recommends using their XTR rings which appear to grab and support about 1" of the of the scope body tube. These rings would work fine on a rail adapter, or a scout mount rail. I was just questioning the rigidity of using a single standard Ruger type ring to mount this kind of red dot via one of the integral Ruger scallop mounts such as the YouTube video was showing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just get an Aimpoint compML2 or comp ML3 and an Ultimak rail and get it over with!!!! You will not regret the money spent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I stuck that Bushnell 1x32MP on my Mini and I will confirm that, yes, it weighs a ton. It actually weighs enough that it pulled the screws holding the top rail almost completely out after a few hundred rounds. It didn't strip them, just caused enough shake on the rail to work them out. I put them back in with some loctite but I haven't been back out with it since so I can't confirm that it will stay put or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts