Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, let me preface this by saying that while I am a Mosin-Nagant afficianado, I am by no means an expert in these matters. That said, here is my take on the situation.

Any of 'em with good bores and tight actions ought to do what you want to do. Sako, VKT, B, Sneak, etc.

The "B" is not something one would want as an everyday shooter. The "B" barrel rifles have a serial number range of the low of 23,294 to a high of 48,978. All have 1942 dates. An unusual charecteristic of the "B" barrels is the deep purple or plum coloring.

A "Sneak" may be better for your intended use -- they were supposedly built for either competition or officer marksmanship training. They were also made more recently, like '68-'73. The reason they are "sneaks" is that they were built by the Finns after signing a treaty with the USSR stating that they would no longer build these rifles.

SAKO, S in a gearwheel, Sa, or Sk.Y is Sako. Sk.Y indicates it was produced for the Civil Guard.

The M39's are good rifles. I have a Sako that I can average a 5-shot group of about 2.5" at 100 yards. I'm sure it could do better with a better shooter behind it.

BTW, Bob In St. Louis or Polishshooter over at www.thefirearmsforum.com in the C&R forum might be able to give more input.

I asked about average prices for sneaks back in January and this was Bob's reply:

"Wholesale Guns & Ammo, Central Islip, NY:

1968 date - $219.99
1969 date - $359.99
1970 date - $199.99

Like new condition, dealer prices. Website: www.gunsnammo.com

or call 631-234-7676"

Hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.