Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know everyone's input on what would be the best type of finish to put on a 196 series ranch rifle? Something to cover all of the metal parts. Is this even possible, or do the moving parts (such as the bolt and such) have to be swapped out?

I really like manganese phosphate parkerizing, but I've heard mixed reviews on if its even possible on stainless steel. Is there a way to get a durable matte finish that would blend in with a camo pattern later on?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Birdsongs Black-T. They do the Hybrid teflon coating about 8 miles from here.
Do a search for info on them. The coating also serves as lubricant,good stuff!
Every part is coated and does not cause problems that thicker coating would.
Black-T.com

This is a post from another forum, ( teflon finish
Almost all of mine are finished in BlackT, GreenT, or a combination of both of them-from Walter Birdsong. First one was done in mid to late 80's and I've never quit. Will not rust and lubricity factor is next to nothing. I can't speak for other finishes but this one I've HARD carried on a number of weapons over a twenty year police career in the humidity of Jackson MS area.)

look at post #10 here;
http://m14forum.com/m14/55879-teflon-coating.html
STW

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
This is Cerakote ( Tungsten/Sniper Grey ) on a stainless steel 189 series Mini-30.

I didn't bother to coat the firing pin or internal trigger parts, as they were already stainless. But I did coat every part on the woodstock gun which is a blued Mini-30.
Cerakote is that thin, you can use it on all internal parts.

The wood stock M-30 is really the sweeter shooter of the two, as CoSteve will attest.
I can't remember if MisFire51 shot it as well, I know I had the SS Mini with FastFire sight when I shot with him in AZ.
The Sniper Grey color ( metal parts on wood stock gun and the stock on the ss/synthetic Mini ) Looks a bit like a Parkerized finish but not as dark.
The Tungsten color, on the stainless/synthetic Mini's metal parts, is lighter in color, more silvery and a slight "metal flake" look.
Both carbines now have a side sling arrangement.

The all grey Mini will eventually get the stock and a few other parts, like the flash hider and rear sight housing, done in tan or FDE, just to break up the profile.
Cerakote is very durable. The oldest one I finished in Cerakote, a 195 series Mini-14 with green Hogue stock and FDE on all the metal, has been shot a lot in the last four years, and shows no finish removal even on moving parts like the bolt sides, only a burnishing or dulling of that area. And Cerakote leaves a much thinner coat than other paint finishes.
They are all matte finish after the sandblast prep, although it is possible to get a bit glossier outcome by varying the hardener when mixing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts