Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new custom loaded full size Springfield and wanted to get some info on your favorite factory ammo for target and home defense. I was planning to use Federal Hydro Shock like I keep in my 9mm for H.D. and Winchester 230 grain for target . Any opinion helps since this is my first 1911.:usa:

·
Registered
427 Posts
My police friend gets Black Talon for his Glock .45. I'll bet that rips through body armor. Black Talon isn't sold to non-law enforcement, but I've seen other Winchester hollowpoints that look like crater-makers.

However, in my humble opinion, standard ball should be adequate to stop any assailant. There's a good reason the 1911 was the Army's standard sidearm for over 70 years through several wars!

KC

·
Registered
535 Posts
Some 1911 shooters have feeding problems with certian types of bullets. Ball usually causes fewer if any feeding problems. I reload hollow point (Hornady 230gr) and LSW (National Bullet 200gr) and I have never had a feeding problem with my Colt. I have never shot them but the Gold Dot and Hydro Shock both look like excellent performing bullets, however, Federal doesn't sell the Hydo Shock to reloaders. The .45 sheds velocity rapidly as the round is almost as wide as long and you will get bullet performance problems if you use it at longer ranges for hunting etc. At close ranges ball may (will??) get you a through-and-through including your kid's bedroom wall, stereo, him/her, etc.; that is why I don't use it. I bought some Unique to try and it is the dirtiest burning stuff I have ever used - just food for thought if you are planning on reloading!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I was watching a show on TNN, and the host was showing off some hollow points called Power Ball? If I remember right, it was a hollow point that was filled with something that would prevent Jams , and he said that it was made for 1911's. Heard of it?
DAN

·
Registered
291 Posts
Black Talon is NOT armor piercing ammo being a hollow point bullet and is designed as personal self defense ammo. Hydra shock would be an excellent choice for your SA.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Never heard of Power Ball, Probably just a pitch for a new kind. The only way to know for sure what ammo's the best is to get different brands & loadings and shoot em in your gun for accuracy. It seems to me that a COM hit with ball would be preferable to a periphreal (?) hit with a Hydra-Shock.

Hydra-Shocks shoot well in my 1911 so thats what I carry. YMMV.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Personal preferance is the old 200gr 'flying ashtray' Gold dots, but you may have problems with feeding in your gun. Second choice is the Triton Quik-Shok 230gr.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FAR superior to the slow old 230 gr jhp's, which expand little, if at all, in flesh. Black talons don't expand at all, and they dont pierce Kevlar worth a hoot. To pierce Kevlar, you need either a small diameter, very high velocity bullet, or a bullet that is so hard that it doesn't "mushroom" at contact with the fiberglass cloth (kevlar) An icepick or stilletto goes thru concealable armor like so much cheese. .; 45 hp's are stopped by the first 3-4 layers of the 18 layer Kevlar vests.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I keep my Springfield 1911 loaded model, loaded with Federal hydra shock. I also will keep it loaded with 185grain low flash hornady rounds. No problems as of yet.

I bring the flash and brash

blzn69

·
Registered
88 Posts
many a man can say the same of his .25 "no problem as of yet". the 160 gr powerball Corbon is provably a LOT more effective (1200 fps) on animals than is the 230 gr jhp stuff. The latter just dont expand much, if at all, and they only have 300 or so ft lbs. so they exit the torso, wasting about 100 ft lbs of energy. The CorBon 160 gr has 500 ft lbs, and is going fast enough to expand reliably and well. It has a plastic nose cap, so it's a reliable feeder, too.

G

·
I ordered 5 kinds of ammo when I got my Springfield, 3 ball and 2 HP. Both Winchester SXTs and Federal Hyrda-Shocks feed fine, as do S&B ball, Winchester Ball, and American Eagle Ball. All are 230 grain. I'm keeping it loaded with Hyrda-Shocks right now, but for no other reason than its the same brand I keep in my .40 caliber pistols.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also keep a Glock22 loaded with 135grain .40s&w (hydra Shock) to keep my 1911 company. Federal make some good stuff.

I bring the brash and flash

blzn69

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like to use Remington Golden Saber 230 grain Jacketed Hollow Points for H.D.

As for reliablility, my Kimber 1911 feeds Hollow Points just as reliably as it feeds Ball Ammo. I have fired over 20,000 shots through that one gun, I have had one jam, it was because somehow my shirt got caught in the slide while drawing the gun from a holster. Dont ask. I still dont quite understand how it happened.

:2guns:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Federal 230gr. Hydrashoks always seem to perform well out of my Colts, both full size and Compact. Winchester 230gr. SXT is a close second out of my full size series 80.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You know most guys will probebly bark at me for this. I have a Springfield Armory mil. spec. 1911-A1 and for plinking-I use Wolf 230gr. ball ammo and it works great. On occasion I've used UMC brand 230gr. and had no problems w/either. For home defense I like 200gr. hollow points. I've also shot 185gr. wad-cutters. All ammo seems to work just great outta that pistol. So my advise would be ,for home defense 200gr hollow points. For plinking 230gr. ball ammo works just fine. Springfield builds a not to finiky pistol-an reliable as hell. I would'nt buy any cheaper than Wolf, I've seen and heard of a lot of horror stories useing unknown brand ammo. Just my two cents worth. :D :usa:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
200 grn. JHP speer on top of 1100 fps of blue dot w/mag primer opens up to nearly 1.00 " in six inches of wet telephone books @ 50'. i plink with what i kill with. no compensation to consider. i use an out of the box mkIV/series '70 and it will stove pipe because nothing has been done to stop it. it's a little hot, but very accurate and mighty deadly.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
:unsure:

never mind, you said factory load, sorry

:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Both my SIG220 and my loving wife's LW Commander use CCI Lawman 200gr "Flying Ashtray" JHP. No problem feeding and the round has a proven stop factor.

oneshooter

·
Registered
215 Posts
On the advice of several LEO friends I load Hydra Shocks in my Kimber or ParaOrd for use against 2 legged varmints . FWIW, I also load Hydras in my 38 snubs, and 44s.
:2guns:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts