Hey Guys,
Just wondered what you all feel is the best AK for
general plinking and target shooting?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since you didn't specify a range...

For the money, the SAR-1's are probably one of the best bangs for the buck.

If you want to spend a little more, look into the VEPR II or VEPR K models, from Robinson Arms.

They're built a little heavier than the other AK's out there, designed around an RPK receiver. They also have a heavier trunion and barrel, so they tend to be a little more accurate than the everyday AK. Price wise, they are about $550, as compared to about $325 and up for an SAR-1.

But, you do get alot more rifle for that extra money, too, IMHO. My .02 worth anyway. Good luck on your search and your final choice. ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
The SAR's are a good bang for the buck. You really can't beat an AK for the price. Magazines are cheap and the things are just downright dependable in 7.62x39. I picked up a SAR3 in 223 and after a little work she runs fine as long as I use the E. German Weiger mags in her. If a person does'nt mind being limited to 10 round mags the Russian Saigas are a nice cheap politically correct looking AK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For quality and accuracy, not to mention a milled receiver My vote goes for a Belgium SLR-100H. It's my third and favorite AK-47.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The best AK????...... The AK's made by Arsenal Inc.! By far the best ones made. And made in the USA by fromer master craftsman from Russia. Milled receiver, chrome lined barrels, new parts milled in the plant, and three models all made for AMERICAN shooters, 1'longer stocks, not the short "Dink" stocks. Check their website out, and then check out last months "GUNs" magazine article on this weapon, it would not fail. DIRT,SNOW, WATER,SAND you name it. Research your buy before you plop money down on SURPLUS! :sniper: Dogman Out.....

www.arsenalinc.com

·
Registered
419 Posts
www.ak-103.com for the USA AK. Good videos of them shooting their guns, full-auto too. Can't get one, so I just have to watch. :
3 1/2 to 4 pound trigger, 2inch grooups with right ammo from what I've heard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i HEAR THE US ARSENAL SAM7'S STILL SUFFER FROM TRIGGER SLAP LIKE THE CHEAP ONES, AND MIKAHAIL KALISHNIKOV HIMSELF PREFERRER STAMPED RECIEVERS FOR DURABILITY IN THE FIELD...THE HEAT GOT TO THE MILLED ONES. I HAVE A CHANCE TO BUY ONE FOR 550.00. I AM ALSO LOOKING AT THE AK-USA AK103...HEARD LOTS OF GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM AND A FRIEND OF MY BOUGHT ONE AND LIKES IT BETTER THAN HIS BUSHMASTER M4 NOW.....IT RUNS $625 THOUGH....I HAVE A SAR1 BUT THATS MY GIRLFRIEND...I AM NOW LOOKIN FOR THE WIFE......WHAT SHOULD I DO GUYS....

·
Registered
689 Posts
blockhead I'd probably stick with the Bulgi's by Arsenal. Just for the sake of easy to get spare parts(cheap). The AK103's(Saigas)are built on late model 74 style recievers and parts. They have the small stem bolts. I have'nt seen any spare parts available yet. You can get a complete AK 47 style bolt from Globel Trades that will fit the Bulgi or SAR1 for $30.00. and all other parts are cheap. I've just modified some AK74 5.45 Bulgarian bolts for my SAR3's. so I'd have some spares. The SAR3's are 5.56cal. and kind of a hodge podge rifle,but once you gettem going they'll hang with any AK. I don't think you'll go wrong with either rifle your thinking about there both nice rifles I just like havin a few spare parts like firing pins and extractors, pins and springs ect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
THANKS FOR THE INPUT FLAK ! CAN ANY OF YOU OTHER AKERS OUT THERE GIVE ME SOME FEED BACK ON THIS ?....THE TRIGGER SLAP ISSUE ON THE ARSENAL SAM7'S AND THA AK-USA-AK103..I AM STILL UNDECIDED....NEED TO KNOW ASAP THE SAM7 WONT LAST FOR THAT PRICE.....HELP ME OUT BROTHERS...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was in the market for an AK too not long ago, I wanted a Shooter so i knew i was getting a post ban after looking over many AK clones i setteled on a Norinco Mak-90 in 762x39,
Yes it is a thumbhole but i wanted a stamped receiver gun and this one has the best Fit and finish of them all, with a real blued finish not some kind of paint that chips and scrathes and the wood is real nice too.The best thing about this rifle is it is a
factory produced mak-90 and not built from a parts bin and a
receiver like some of the ones alot of people rave about here.
This is just my personal opinion;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks deerhunter....i seee you are in new york....upsatate, downstate..long island ? do you know of anyone interested in a saiga 7.62x39mm conversion....its an EAA conversion, looks just like the hesse model 4716...its new in box never fired...i bought it and really would rather go with a more conventional ak wood furniture and no brake....i dont care for the furniture... i have it on gunsamerica for $400.plus shippping and handling...but if you know someone here in new york that is interested they could save on ffl tsf fees and shipping and handling and tax....if they were to buy the same one from out of state with shipping and handling and ffl it would run them mopre than that or just around that....sight unseen.....thanks for your help...ill have to look at the mak90....what do they run ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Long island area,You can get a new in box Norinco mak-90 for around 375.00 check out gunbroker.com ;)

If you want to get MAJOR Ak-47 info, go to AK-47.net that is where all the real AK syco's hang out:ar15:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Long Island....631 area...thats me...I have been to ak47.net....but there is so many threads things get lost.....you know anyone interested in my russian ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts