Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to buy a 45acp, what do you think is the best value for the money?

Ruger SR1911
Rock Island Armory GI 1911
H&K USP
Ruger P90 - not sure if made anymore
Sig
Kimber

Or something else?

About 10 years ago I owned a Ruger P90, it was a nice shooting pistol that would eat just about anything I put through it.

I have a buddy that loves the RIA (rock island armory) like of pistols. He claims they are as good as anything else on the market.

I did not list colt, because I do not want have it fixed so it will function properly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My Money went to the RIA. The shop only had the Novak Tactical which I think is the top of the line for RIA folks.
Anywho 'bout 900 or so rounds of just about anything from +P to cheap crap ball ammo and no FTF or FTL.
Pick up your prospect and your hand wil tell ya if it is the one.
R

·
Registered
437 Posts
Probably the RIA for value.
But I don't actually own one; my 1911s are all Colt or Springfield Armory, with one experimental Taurus. The RIAs look and feel solid, and have a good internet reputation. I just haven't sprung for one yet.
The Ruger is about same-same pricewise with Colt/SA (i.e., more than RIA). A friend of mine has one and loves it, but I just can't warm up to a stainless 1911. Especially one with front slide serrations. The whole thing just seems wrong somehow.
Kimber may be recovering from their QC issues by now, but I'm not fully convinced yet. That combined with pricetag makes it a no-go for me.
SIG may be a nice pistol, but I'm not convinced their gun designers are smarter than J.M. Browning, so I'll continue to pass on the "modernized" 1911s like the SIG and S&W.

No interest or opinion on non-1911 .45ACPs, so no help there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had looked at the SA, Remington, Colt and was considering the Ruger. I walked in one Saturday during Ruger Days and walked out with the SR1911. Its stainless but not that offensive bright finish, good sights, trigger pull good and it shoots like a dream, im satisfied with my choice

·
Tracker
178 Posts
Buy a Colt you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm warming up to the purchase of a .45 automatic and it will be a Colt, either a Series 70 or older post-war to 1970 Government Model. Everything else is a clone.

My son has a Rock Island which does seem like good value for the money. 1500 or so rounds with no bobbles and just a pretty decent trigger.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ive been looking too...im probably gonna go RIA or Springfield. I also have a Springfield XD 45 which is my go to pistol and is a great gun. The only thing i would replace it with would be an XDm 45. I know....an XD is plastic but its a great gun nontheless and holds 13+1.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had looked at the SA, Remington, Colt and was considering the Ruger. I walked in one Saturday during Ruger Days and walked out with the SR1911. Its stainless but not that offensive bright finish, good sights, trigger pull good and it shoots like a dream, im satisfied with my choice
Any of these would be a good choice. I have several from Colt and Springfield, but I'm looking for a Ruger.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The RIA's are great guns. 100% functional/reliable, decent trigger. Mine has the gov't style sights, which are a tad small for my tastes, but lessons learned I guess. For <$500 I don't think anything can touch them.

For anything >$500 I would buy my Kimber again in a heartbeat. 100% functional/reliable, great trigger. Shoots tighter groups than the RIA as well. I have shot a Les Baer and a Wilson and I am not a good enough shot to shoot any better with them than I can with my Kimber...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts