Perfect Union banner

Bedding the gas block. Photos would really help.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tri70 
#1 ·
I'm a little confused on this. If the forestock already fits pretty snugly into the gas block will bedding the forestock into the gas block help tone down vibrations and increase accuracy? I haven't seen this mentioned on the "first/best things to do for your mini" yet so I'm wondering if it is an inconsistent or seldom performed accuracy enhancer. I've come across some postings on this but I get things visually better than by reading. Does anyone have pictures of how & what they have done in this area? How much did it help?

#2 ·
Since the stock rotates out of the gas block I would be pretty hesitant to do this with the current design. Unless you made putty dams in just the right spots you glue the stock in so to speak and have to remove the gas block to get the stock off each time. I havent done it myself so im just speculating but I could see that happening just thinking about other stocks I have bedded.

#3 ·
Thank you Major.
From the paucity of replies from this very active list I must assume that virtually no one does the forend bedding. It must not be very effective or it would be listed as another accuracy aid/cure.

#5 ·
Mr Carbine,
I saw a reference to it in the stickies but wasn't sure what was being described. What did you do to your gun? Any pics anywhere? (Don't tear your gun down to show me. Once I am finished with my gun's improvements I'm leaving it alone for a loooooong time)

#6 ·
I pulled the 'u'-shaped sleeve off the front and fastened the liner with s/s machine screws fit in to each side of the forearm - 1 each side about 2" back. to 'bed' to the block I roughed the surface where the 'u' fit and layered hi-temp epoxy to fit the gas block. use pleny of release agent and go slow rather than try to make just 1 heavy apllication. I finished buy useing a fine rasp to round the edges a bit.
I don't have fotos but IIRC 'cajungeo' had a sticky of doing this.
his is one more fine shooting M30.

#7 ·
The gas block being a sensitive spot for pressure on the barrel, I would recommend floating the stock off the gas block first. Square the stock end so it does not put put any unwanted pressure against the block before bedding. I have float my stock ends but not bedded, I have considered making a lead gasket to reduce harmonics and tighten fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.