Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there who has bedded their mini 14 stock and can scan in a picture or use a digital camera to show the finished result?? If so please post a pic, I'm just curious to see what it looks like in the end. How much weight does the bedding add to the stock?? Thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure. I'll post a pic later today.

Added weight...probably less than 3-4 ounces (...? not really sure). Not much at all.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey grinch, I don't have a camera, but if I did you wouldn't be able to see anything, as the gel kit came with dye. I dyed mine black to match my hogue stock. It looks like the stock. It also comes with brown dye for wood stocks. Their is 2 oz of resin, and 2 oz of catalist. It didn't take much. I could do 3 mini's with the 4 ozs. I bought Mikes bedding video. It gave good instructions, and you see one done from start to finish. It made a big diff. in group size, and no more flyers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cajungeo,

You say you could probably get 3 mini's from the kit. Is it easy to guess on the amount of bedding mix you need for only one gun, or should I plan on doing my M77 MKII at the same time? What's the dwell time on the mix after you've added the catalyst?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Stache, the bedding kit Mike used in his video was a use all or none, cel-pak. I got the Acraglas Gel ( green box) and the resin, and catalist came in plastic jars, so you can use as much or as little as you want. The instructions say to mix for 4 min, you then have 25 min. at 72-75 F before you can't work with it. At higher room temp you have less time, so I would do 1 gun at a time, and have everything ready, and layed out, before you mix. (This may sound funny, but I rehearsed doing mine, before I did it for real) How much you use depends on the type of stock, and the gap between action, and stock. Mine was a Hogue, so I didn't have a stock reighforcement to bed also. If you run a little short you can whip up somemore in 4 minutes. Don't forget the release agent, and fill all possible mechanical locks, with clay or I used mylar tape!!!!!!!!
It is easy, if you have everything layed out, and ready. Good luck;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry for the delay Grinch...lots happening here

I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Also, to add to what cajungeo said: Even if you do miss some spots that should be bedded, it is no big deal. I had this problem with the far-forward lugs - I just didn't apply enough bedding compound. I let it cure for 5 days and then dremeled only those sections a little - just dremel the bedding as if it were original stock material. I then used just 1/4 tablespoon of resin and 1/4 tablespoon of hardener, and 1/2 drop of brown coloring. So all together, I made only 1/2 tablespoon of bedding and it was actually more than enough. I probably have 3/4 of the bedding components left still. And even after opening the little pouch with the brown in it, I believe the coloring resin alone without hardener will stay good for quite a while.

I agree, there is plenty in the Acraglas Gel kit to do 3 Mini's, if not 4. As far as doing two rifles at a time, I wouldn't suggest it. You can always finish one, mix more compound and then bed the other one. Otherwise you will be rushing and getting your fingers covered with compound and getting it on your stocks, etc.

There really is no need to rush it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts