Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Cogburn Arsenal has 2 piece clamp on bayonet attachments that should fit a Mini-14. Bayonet Lugs – Cogburn Arsenal

The question is, they have them for M-14, M-16, and AK bayonets, which one would best fit a 582 Ranch rifle barrel?

Also, what is the diameter of that barrel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
580 and up series barrel = .625". Ranch rifle with clamp on bayonet lug is a terrible idea as you don't have sufficient space/width in the front to seat bayonet properly unless you move the front sight. Too much work & $$$ and not giving you much benefit of actually using one.

Sleeve Wood Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Audio equipment

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, what you say makes perfect sense.

Just an idea I was tossing around in my head, the practicality is probably nil. lol

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
a bit off topic but here goes anyway. Cogburn made a lug for my Swiss bayonet - STGW? - that is a one piece requiring front sight removal which fit my 189 series Mini 30 barrel perfect. I have a no longer made Eagle brake-flash hider with the H-K style front sight incorporated which is a tight slide on fit to the bayonet bolster (not sure correct term) mounted. this is a sturdy mount for an item I'm doubtful I'll ever have to wield in a fight. it's mostly a conversation starter I admit, but sure looks impressive.
Cogburn seems to make fine products. I recommend.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,784 Posts
Good products, but he's not so hot on replying to e-mails, unfortunately. Must be extremely busy.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,784 Posts
I see Cogburn Arsenal has 2 piece clamp on bayonet attachments that should fit a Mini-14. Bayonet Lugs – Cogburn Arsenal

The question is, they have them for M-14, M-16, and AK bayonets, which one would best fit a 582 Ranch rifle barrel?

Also, what is the diameter of that barrel?

Thanks!
If you want to go to the trouble and expense, probably the least hassle is to dismount current front sight, and substitute a Choate flash suppressor/front sight unit: Mini 14 (580 Series) Cage S.S. for barrel diameter of .625 – Choate Machine & Tool – Choate Store Home

Then add approprite rear bayo lug for M-7 (M-16) bayonet, which is by far the least expensive of the US bayonets, and almost identical to the other ones mentioned. Get a less expensive M-10 scabbard for the bayo.

DO shop around.

In the unlikely, but possible event you ever mount an under-barrel strut to your Mini, the bayo lug will need to be removed in most cases.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Check state and local laws as some do not allow bayonet mounts.

Reactions: RJF and Speedo66

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
to clarify my post #4 the Cogburn lug required removing the front sight to slip the lug down the barrel to the correct spot, where the clamp is tightened to secure the lug.
the bolster ring may be known as 'muzzle ring' to some.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It’s your rifle but why?
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I like the gb style front sight from cogburn it will shorten your sight radius but give you more room for the front bayonet ring.

I don't actually have that sight, we can't have bayonet lugs in my state.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll agree that a knife is always loaded and I love the bayonets that go on my ‘03s, Krags, garand, M12 and 97 trench guns but not on a sporting rifle. Too many episodes of Walking Dead?
View attachment 65277
Well, I do have a SKS with a spike bayonet, so I guess that takes care of my bayonet needs.

That's quite a different one in your picture, what rifle is that affixed to?

·
Registered
374 Posts
That is a Krag Bowie that was designed as a combination trenching tool and bayonet. Its on my real deal 1899 Constabulary-school rifle. It proved too fragile and did not pass field trials. Surviving Krag Bowies run $4-5000.00 which is why I built mine. I made it from a 1917 Bolo knife that was missing it’s guard and grips and a rough Krag bayonet. As valuable as they are they are often faked. I’ve only seen one in the flesh and wasn't sure that it wasn’t a fake. The tell is the scabbard, there’s no faking it. A beautiful hunk of steel.
Wood Hunting knife Knife Bumper Rectangle
Tableware Tool Knife Blade Hunting knife

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have a Ranch Rifle without a muzzle device the only options (beyond having the barrel threaded by a gunsmith) is to buy a John Masen pin on combination flash hider & muzzle brake to add the correct length/diameter to the end of the barrel(or if in a non-AWB state the Choate pin on flash hider which requires drilling new roll pin keyways on the bottom of the barrel). In an AWB state (while also staying under the feature limit), you'll have to cut off the flash hider portion of the John Masen brake and re-blue the end. 580+ series is a .625" OD barrel for the clamp on lug. M7, M9, and OKC-3S bayonets will fit the lug and the muzzle rings will fit over the John Masen brakes/Ruger standard flash hiders. Below is a John Masen pin on combination flasher & muzzle brake with the flash hider sawn off and re-blued as described for AWB compliance.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Audio equipment Office supplies

Art Wood Personal protective equipment Paint Electric blue

Cable Gas Electronic device Audio equipment Auto part
Wood Air gun Trigger Wood stain Hardwood

1 - 20 of 22 Posts