Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried adding weights to the end of their mini-14 to try and improve accuracy? There are plenty of testaments that muzzle breaks improve accuracy. I think some of the effect comes from adding extra weight to the end of the barrel.

On one of their production bolt rifles, Browning added a threaded weight to the end of barrel. Don't remember which one right now. You know, CRE (Can't Remember Everything). The purpose was to tune the harmonics of the barrel for accuracy.

Has anyone tried something like this? I think it has potential. Has it been tried before?

"You won't be paid but you will earn the respect of this forum"

KC

:usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
How about setting up a thick steel plate on the end of the muzzle, at 90 degrees to the barrel, cutting slots in the plate and devising a guy-wire system using guitar strings, to bolster the barrel from all sides?

Just kidding, you guys!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey KC, I read a post, I believe last Dec, where a member tied a rope on the end of his barrel, and to a tree limb, the weight of the mini caused his point of impact to be 6" higher. Also last month a member had shots drop 4-5 " after the barrell heated up with 2 or 3 shots. He had a 1 lb silencer on the end of the barrel. Aparently temperature would be a variable, cold barrel more weight, hot barrel, less weight. I believe the BlackWarrior muzzle brake to be a happy medium. 4 to 6 oz? But like you proposed, maby adding or subtracting an ounce or two might help even more?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow,
I was fishing for an idea, and I like the suggestions. A mini-14 guitar! Would Ted Nugent like it?

Heat could have an effect, so a quick-lock sliding weight might help guarantee first five rounds accuracy and then be quickly adjusted for the next five. I'm serious!

KC

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rob,
Please clarify a couple of things. You said the patterns were vertically strung 9 inches. Sorry I'm not a gunsmith. What does POI mean? It sounds like maybe the rifle would start high and the pattern would move down with each shot. Were you shooting rapid fire?

KC :ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey rob, I'm sorry your BW muzzle brake didn't work for you, it has seemed to work very well for everyone else though. To get rid of the right, and left flyers, bed your stock. It will get rid of the flyers, and tighten up the rest of your group. It will only cost $13-$16 for the Acraglas Gel bedding kit.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Midwayusa, midsouth, natzhezss, and about any gun shop. Get the gel (green box).

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
You got it. POA = Point of Aim (spot on target your aiming at), POI Point of Impact (where the bullet strikes target).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts