Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is interest in getting one of these barrel shrouds for your mini , or other rifle, I may be able to run a lot at the shop. Can also make custom parts and "reproductions" of parts if you have something in mind. NOTHING ILLEGAL PLEASE This one is made of Alum and SS and fits on my 12 Gauge Bullpup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So is the barrel shroud worthwhile? I mean, does it improve shooting performance or is it more of a looker?

Both would be best and I might be interested if thats the case.

SGJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
i guess the barrel shroud would cost to much for a New Zealander

Great pictures of your mini 14, I like the mini 14 stock, they are a band import here.

Stu

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could make the shroud from 6061 (alum). The weight would be reduced significantly. But then again it will dissipate heat quicker. I am working on another that just requires one to use set screws to hold to the barrel. Also, the front sight would still be used. When I am finished, I will post. Maybe a barter could be arranged. What does a nice pair of slippers go for. Wife has cold feet and you have all those sheep.

G

·
Bybon,
I really like that fluted shroud.

You said the magic word "Barter" ... do you need any US GI M-14 parts?

If I had a digital camera, I'd post a picture of my USGI/Chinese "bastard" M-14, which has a folding stock I built, a 19" barrel, with an AR-15 flashider, and an H&K front sight at the gas ring. I've posted "How TO" instructions for M-14 carbines over on the Gun & Knife M14 forum.

One other thing you might want to look into manufacturing, are Ruger "GB" front sights ... of course without that politically incorrect bayo lug. The Ruger Mini-14 barrels I've run a digital caliper down vary a LOT in outside diameter [ and I don't mean taper ] so getting anything to fit up right on a wide sample of barrels might be a chore.

I know I'd get one of the GB sights, to go with the AR-15 flashider on a Mini 14 barrel. Or, if you made them to fit an M-14 barrel, I'd buy a couple ... I'm always whacking off the barrels of M-14 rifle for Canadian legal [ > 18 1/2" ] bush carbines.

·
Registered
685 Posts
all your work is beautiful and that being said i would love to see a fluted shroud on my mini. if you don't mind to turn one out for a price?.later

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would like more info. My mini shoots 3 in an inch at 100yds. Would the shroud help git rid of the heat and keep the groups resonable? Would appreciate any answer, price or advice! PS: After the 3 shots its groupless until it cools, Help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would also more info. My mini shoots 2 in at 100 mtr. with
muzlebracke, but the bracke isn´t legal in Germany.
So i look for a heavier barrel or a barrel shroud to accotizing
my mini.
Please mail me back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the shroud for the Mini-14 tension the barrel as well as shrouding it? If so, I would be interested in purchasing one of the steel ones you have labeled as mini9 14 fabricated from steel rod. This construction should allow better air flow over the barrel surface and cool more effectively than the tubular versions I have seen previously. Very nice looking work in all your photos.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey guys, before ya'll get to carried away you may want to notice the before kjohnson revived this thread the last post to it was on 02-03-2002. If bybon is still around and checking this board he might reply, if not you could PM him and see if he's still in the shroud building business.......;). Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts