Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the mini back today and they put on a new barrel, I thought that was weird considering it was in for a rear sight issue. Looking at it it seems like the barrel is a smaller diameter. I don't have calipers so all I could do is measure the end diameter, which looks like right on 1/2". Does that sound right for a brand new mini? It looks smaller to me for some reason.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It's not unusual that the barrel was changed out. It is Ruger's job to return the rifle to factory spec (which is why some people lose their aftermarket parts if they don't otherwise instruct them to be left alone). Can't say why it would be a smaller barrel.

Are you sure this is a new Mini? It sure sounds like they installed the earlier 9/16" barrel, not the new tapered 5/8". Is it a tapered barrel?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is tapered, but without calipers I can't measure the bigger end. It is a new gun, I bought it at Big5 about two months ago. I'm only using a retractable tape so I know I'm not that accurate.

401 Posts
I hope its a shooter!!!

I got the mini back today and they put on a new barrel, I thought that was weird considering it was in for a rear sight issue. Looking at it it seems like the barrel is a smaller diameter. I don't have calipers so all I could do is measure the end diameter, which looks like right on 1/2". Does that sound right for a brand new mini? It looks smaller to me for some reason.
Sincerely, I hope it turns out to be a wonderful rifle for you. The barrel replacement is a mystery. I wonder if it was warped in some way or the rifling off. I am just speculating but one of those issues might explain your sighting problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just put the calipers on my 581 Mini-14 barrel, and I'm getting 17/32" at the muzzle, 5/8" before the front sight, and 25/32" at the gas block.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
My delton has a .750 diameter barrel. I wish ruger would put that size on a mini-14. The delton shoots like a dream. My mini is a 580 but with the thin barrel profile, hence the accustrut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have that series so not sure on the front sight but... If the barrel was done so that the pin hole was slightly off, it could force the front sight to sit at an angle that might force the use of a lot of rear sight adjustment.
Maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.