Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone that has had their Minis barrel cut down to the legal minimum of 16" please edjucate us on how this has affected accuracy. I would assume that a Mini with a 16" barrel would be enough to support the .223 or 5.56 round out to the rounds maximum range being that the M4 has a 16" barrel, but I would like some proof from an experienced individual.:sniper:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also curious. Many of the barrell upgrades sell 20" replacements, but will cut. I would like to keep the mini "mini" without extending the barrell past its 18 or so inches I am curious of how a shortened barrell will affect the performance of an upgrade - I seem to recall some sort of formula or rule about twists and length...

Someone?

·
Registered
110 Posts
here is some text from the DRC web site:

"One of our popular packages is the Ruger Mini 14. Jim Baggett, coworker and a 28-year veteran police officer, came up with the idea to use the Mini rather than the AR’s because of completed cost, size, availability, and reliability. The problems to overcome were accuracy, optics, trigger pull, and overall length. After cutting a large number of barrels down we found that the muzzle measured from .0002-.002 larger than it did 2 inches back. This is why the factory barrels are so erratic on accuracy. We cut the barrel back 2 inches but the barrel was to short, so we took a choate flash hider and converted it to a muzzle break by welding in a insert and opening it to .035 over, which holds the barrel level when firing enabling quicker speed and sight acquisition. The next problem was sights; we needed a sturdy forward mount for optics. We silver soldered two blocks onto the barrel and extended them up through the hand guard and then mount a weaver style base as low as possible with 8-40 screws. The last major hurtle was the trigger which was too long of a pull and increased in weight as it was pulled, after our trigger job a 3 pound reliable trigger is achieved. We will do other modifications if requested; however the ones mentioned are the most popular."

·
Registered
217 Posts
I emailed the guy at DRC and asked him what kind of accuracy improvement is expected after shortening the barrel, adding a choate brake, and doing the trigger job. He said that groups are usually cut in half and suggested that Black Hills 55gr ammo is a good choice after the conversion. I have a question for you guys about something on their site under the Mini 14 services.....what is the blast cone service? He said the variation in the mini's bore is due to the hammer forge process.

SAVARY: You said there was a write up on this place recently....do you know what magazine you found that in?

Thanks,
Grinch

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey,
The article was at least two months ago. I think it was in one of those law enforcement orientated gun magazines. I saw it at the grocery store, but i dont remember the name of the mag.

The bast cone is an optional item you can buy from DRC. It fits over the Choat flash supressor. It looks like a huge Enfield jungle carbine flash supressor. If i remember right, it reduces the muzzel blast felt by the operator. Not too sure there. One is pictured on their site. I think it threads on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
14.5" thanks for the clarification. I'm not to familiar with the m-4 or similar civilian versions due to my opinion that owning a semi-auto only weapon that should have semi or 3rnd brst makes about as much sense as owning a ferrari thats got a 4 cylinder under the hood. Yet another reason why I love my semi-auto Mini-14.:usa:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Grinch:

I shot it in the desert last weekend and it functioned fine. I won't really know how accurate it is until I zero it at the range, but I'm probably not a good source for the "shortened barrel accuracy theory" as I'll be using an Armson OEG sight and AO peep. This Miini is intended as a close-mid range tactical carbine, for longer ranges and varmints I have a Shilen-Mini.

RE: MM740's comment about 3-rd burst. I saw Blackhawk Down Saturday and was surprised how rarely the 3-rd burst was used. Semi-auto was the norm, talk about trigger discipline!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well-placed shots and calm under-fire make semi-auto the best. Full auto is virtually useless, unless you have a stable platform to fire from. 3-burst is also hard to control - although much easier than full-auto.

Look how many Marines got killed (19) with zillions of rounds of automatic fire flying about, and look how many 'Skinnies' were trying to kill them!

They say that 1000 Mogs were killed to our 19 Marines - I think there were more Mogs killed than that...

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Pardon me mw740, if I may squeeze in a question for codger; is your shilen barrel a drop in? If so, is it much beefier than the std Rugar barrel?

·
Registered
953 Posts
So there is no best barrell length? i am ready to cut my 2005 mini-14(580 series) barrel down and get a threaded muzzle brake on that thing. I just need some help with the numbers. It is a 18.5" total length with a 1:9 RH twist out of the box.

I am thinking about taking it down to 17"-17.5" total length with a brake installed(still have to pick one). Should i go shorter? Most folks i see on here have a 16"-16.5" total length. Does the twist rate have anything to do with optimal length?

Also, does the "legal limit" of 16" refer to the barrel's total length(brake or flashider included)?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
The legal limit would include the flashhider or muzzle break if they were welded on, I'm not sure about threaded brakes, Gundoc can give a better answer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several years ago, a local gunsmith cut down a (186?) for me to 16". We left the muzzle plain, and reinstalled the OEM front sight band. The actual numbers are long gone now, but I recall that group sizes across the board decreased about 50%. That rifle particularly liked the Black Hills (reman) 68gr OTM, as do many others.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
tri70 said:
The legal limit would include the flashhider or muzzle break if they were welded on, I'm not sure about threaded brakes, Gundoc can give a better answer.
Legal minimum is 16 inches. That minimum can be achieved by the brake being permanently attached to count as barrel length, or in the case of pin on's and threaded brakes you want to remove, 16" to the muzzle. THIS IS IMPORTANT - barrel length is measured fom the closed bolt to the muzzle. The way I measure them is to insert a rod I made down the bore to the face of the closed bolt and read the inches at the muzzle. The factory barrels are 18.5 inches, but if someone took a little off the muzzle to recrown, you could come up short if you don't measure. Short barreled rifles are legal only if you have the proper permit.

I will not go any less than 16.25 inches. Just an insurance factor for you and me that the rifle will be long enough. Overall rifle length is 26 inches. So if you decide to cut a barrel down and cut off the butt to screw on a pistol grip, the total rifle length must be at least 26 inches. When in doubt contact your local ATF office for the latest rules and interpretations. They are an invaluable source of information to keep you out of trouble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.