Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the stuff here over and I wish I would've known about this board before. Probably would've saved me money. O well.
I just bought a Stainless Mini Ranch and a 1:10 BlackStar AccuMax II blank.
I shipped the whole mess off to Accuracy Systems Inc for pretty much the works. I'm going to keep the barrel at .750 OD.
I'm going to use it for hunting in the Adirondacks and so want it for primarily close to medium shots with 50 and 64 grain moly bullets(or thereabouts depending on performance).
Can I get some barrel length preferences?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Bill welcome, sorry I don't have any practical experience with match/ bull barrels, but I have read many tests, and articles on this subject. One thing I'm confident in, is accuracy, at medium to close range (200 yds or less) isn't affected by barrel length as it is in handling. The 20 inch barrel that Accuracy systems offers would be better for long range shooting i.e varmit, but it would be kinda awkward for me to carry around in the woods. Where as a 16 inch would be quicker for close in i.e quick runnen critters. My personal preference would be 18". a nice compromise which wouldn't limit me much on either end. That's just my personal theoretical opinion. There are some guys you will probably hear from with actual experience in this area may or may not offer a different opinion. Hope this helped ya some.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
That's about what I was thinking, It's been pretty much a tossup between 18 and 20. 22 and 24 sounds nice but I'd need a mule to carry it for me. The woods I hunt are a lot like what you got down there all undergrown but sooner or later I'll need to take a longer shot. Attractive as it sounds I just can't bring myself to go with 16. I heard 16'll get me 1.5" in 100 yards. I won't be happy with over 1 in 100 payin' all the money I am.
Then again I know there's a lot of folks that know more'n me and I ain't too cool to ask for advice.
Bill

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Bill -
Those are the guys in Colorado, right?
Let us know how it turns out. I'm getting ready to ship mine off for a barrel job and am still deciding on who to do it.
:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may not want to go the way I'm already committed to.
I'm kind of kicking myself...diminishing returns is a real good way to put it. I should have a piece that'll last the rest of my life and a few generations down the line so long as Hillary is kept at bay. Remember Hillary? I'm still dealing with that embarrasment.
I just shipped my Mini yesterday and BlackStar is shipping the barrel hopefully today.
It'll be about 5 weeks before I get a finished product.
I've been talking to Carl at Accuracy. I'm pretty confident so far.
I will keep y'all informed.
Bill

·
Registered
540 Posts
Diminishing returns is what rifle accuracy is all about!:)
The question is where do you stop?
Me, I like accurate rifles, and am will to spend right up to the edge. So, I don't have problem dropping $600 for the treatment, if it works. (you should see what I put into my hunting rifles :eek: )
Are you doing just the barrel?
What about the gas block and trigger?
Do they glass bed the action?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After it's all said and done I'll be glad I'm dumping all this cash.
1" in 100 yards is the worst I'll go. And its costing me.
After talking with Carl at Accuracy and hearing from somebody who's done business with them I'm pretty confident they'll do it right.
I'm getting pretty much the works done.
Barrel installation, MuzzleBrake, Over size Gas block(.750), Gas block bushing, Trigger job, Front night sight, Rear sight.
I'm not doing the stock now. I've got a local guy for that.
Everything just got shipped yesterday and today.
I'll let you know in about 5 weeks.
Bill

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gunrunner 12 made a comment in the 10/22 forum that .22 rimfire reaches its maximum velocity in a 16 inch barrel. Does anyone know what length is needed for 223/5.56 to reach its maximum velocity? Thanks
-Grinch

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Bill, here is the results of my measurements, I loaded some 55 gr BT with 28.1 gr of BLC-2 powder, which yields 3300fps out of a 26" barrel, but out of my mini with a 18" barrel, I measured 3047 fps. a loss of 253 fps. A diff in energy at 200 yds. of 847 ft-lb to 644 ft-lb. There are some other variables such as gas op versus bolt gun, Seating depth of bullet ect. that figure in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Opps- I just meant to desribe in other terms what Cajun was saying, thought it might make better sense.
BTW - I'd go with 18 inches.;)

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
djskit, it looks that way if its a linear thing, and not exponential. We need a third reading for a definitive answer. I'm leaning on the linear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd like to go 18". Be easier on this fat old man in the weeds. Any experience with accuracy? I'm scared of over 1" in 100 yard groups and want way better.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Thanks djskit, I was looking for some backup, but couldn't find any. When I get my target/varmint rifle, I'm gonna get me one of these. They are way cool! http://www.allisontool.com/pathimg.html Only $18. They also custom make em for any thing you have. Check it out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody know any hard to find parts places?
I saw in a post in here somewhere about mini-14 high mount rings. It had a link to brownells. I went to it and Ranch rifle see through rings were there. The sight said none in stock but they'll e-mail me when they come in. I did get the catalog #.
Thanks,
Bill

1 - 20 of 88 Posts