Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The area around where the front sight was pressed on my gun's barrel looks weird to me. It actually seems to have a slight bulge and an indentation behind where the back of the sight ends on the barrel. It is like it was just rammed on there and the barrel actually bunched up behind the sight. This can not be a good thing.

The barrel on my gun has a straight 90 degree cut so I can't imagine that being great for accuracy. The very tip end of the barrel is milled down to a smaller diameter than the basic barrel diameter which, to me, looks even worse.

So my options are;

1. just crown the barrel and get a pin on brake
2. cut the barrel 2 1/2" with an 11 degree crown, no front sight, no brake
3. cut the barrel, re-crown and have a brake installed

#3 would require the barrel to be lathed down to 1/2 inch so that there is a shoulder to mount the brake to. There are plenty of brakes in the 1/2 x 28 size that will work for 7.62. I don't have a lathe so that would have to be farmed out.

What does the brain trust think I should do with this or would options 1 and 2 benefit the gun any?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a straight barrel. I took a quick shot of the bulge. It is more apparent if you can see it in 3D but it shows up on the photo. The bulge is just behind where the end of the front sight is pressed onto the barrel.

The front sight does not stop at that line. It goes on up to where my bulge comments point.

I think this may be where some if not most of the accuracy improvements come in from cutting down these barrels. Some of it may also be from having a bit slower trajectory bullet. Don't know about that one. It would be for a gun engineer to contemplate. I found an article on mini accuracy that actually documented this bulge affect from the machinery Ruger used to press on the front sights. That is when I looked closely at my barrel and saw the bulge in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.