Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inasmuch as barrel crowning is an important factor in accuracy, has anyone recrowned their stock Mini 14 barrel? If so, how much improvement did you get without making any other changes?

Z-Man, I noted that you mentioned it after cutting your barrel length, but what 'pattern' and tool did you use?

I found this link,Target Crown , which makes it sound a lot easier to do than I thought it was. Is the standard 11 degree target crown a good one to use? What is the standard for hunting rifles? I know my Tikka and Remington 700 BDL are different, and my Mini 14 looks like it hardly has a crown at all on it.

This looks like a worthwhile project on a couple of my rifles, but I'd like to know what I'm doing before I mess around with it.

Thanks.

:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have access to a cutting machine, so I used that to shorten the barrel.

As for crowning, I used a standard crowning tool (available at Brownell's) with an 11-degree target crown.

I did not do a before-after crowning test of any sort, so I can not make any statements about its effects. However, a good crown on a muzle will NEVER hurt anything....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No question about that, Satan2655. I've never studied it, but I've often wondered why some rifles (Rem. 700, Ruger M77) have a radiused crown and my Tikka has a target crown. I don't know if it really matters, all things being the same. All of them are capable of 3 shot groups <1.25" @ 100 yds, with the 700 < 5/8" with factory ammo. I just wish my Ranch rifle was in the ballpark without having to spend the extra hundreds of dollars on it to get it below 2".

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Stache, you might find this link interesting:http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html
I once read a test done on a rifle, where damage to the crown from a slight scratch increasing to a gouge, to a hammer blow; while the accuracy during each stage was docummented. The slight scratch caused accuracy to drop by 1/4", while the hammer blow was 2 or 3 " at 100 yds.
Would you be happy with 2" or less, groups with your mini for $35? Hang a muzzle brake on end of your barrel, and bed your stock. If you can't get 2" with that, then its your shooten. Use a sand bag, and scope. It works for me;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cajungeo, I've got a muzzle break like the one you showed a picture of in one of your other posts. I haven't done a "before and after" test with it yet, but will. Also, I've never bedded a rifle, but it sounds like my mini is a good place to start.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.