Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a book on accurizing the mini-14 and the gun they tested was found to have a barrel constriction due to the factory sight being too tight. Because the constriction was not at the very end of the barrel, it caused problems with accuracy. The problem got worse as the barrel heated up with successive firing. Maybe the sight was acting as an uneven heat sink. They removed the sight and the problem dramatically improved.

Anyone else aware of this being a problem?

Thanks,

V.V.

·
Registered
567 Posts
As light weight as the barrel is I'd be surprised if this isn't a common occurance at both the front sight & the gas block. To check for a restriction you can have your barrel "Slugged". This would confrim a restriction. If removal of the front sight or retorquing the gas block failed to fix the problem you may have to resort to firlapping the barrel which is a drastic measure. Of course you could always have a heavy barrel installed.

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had my sight off but I wondered of moving it to the very end of the barrel would help. I have heard that a constriction here is more likely to improve accuracy.

"To check for a restriction you can have your barrel "Slugged". "

What is "slugged"?

Thanks,

V.V.

·
Registered
567 Posts
To slug a barrel you take a soft lead "Slug" for your caliber & push it through the barrel. The "Slug" will form to the lands & bore of the barrel. If during slugging an increase or decrease in force is felt it'll tell you the barrel has a restriction or a bulge. Any gunsmith can "Slug" a barrel for you.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
685 Posts
i had a gunsmith remove mine and for the better it now shoots around 3 inches @ 100. you can't move the front sight unless to remove it. it dosen't have the surface area to support the sight. you can go with an aftermarket front sight that replaces the factory one plus it's got an improved sight picture and looks cool ask grinch.

·
Registered
685 Posts
yes it mounts to the same place and i don't think it does so, again ask grinch about the eagle front with HK style ring he has one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may just remove my sight. I can't use it with my scope mounts anyway. If I take my scope off, I'll probably look into a different sight.

Thanks,

V.V.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts