asthetics only. Do any of the makers of such things make drop in and do
they need to be adjusted in any way. If adjustment is needed, is it an easy
process, something I can do?
Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Jerry, if the SXE is a standard 1911 any of the 1911 barrel bushings will work. If you buy a "match grade" bushing you may need a little sandpaper to properly fit the bushing to the barrel. Having said that, I don't personally like anything shiny on a blued gun, but that's my personal taste.

Over the years I have added lots of aftermarket goodies to my 1911s, but always seem to return them to their original condition in time. It's fun to do, but a bit of money down the drain. Have fun with your 1911.

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Richard,
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated :)
What is the diff between the match grade and standard. Tighter tollerances?
If I happen to go with the match grade, where would the sandpaper be used.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Most all 1911 bushings need to be fitted. My 1911 smith uses a Mic and an adjustable reamer when fitting a barrel bushing. the only sand paper he ever uses is some extra fine emery and crocus cloth on a mandrel for polishing. I have watched him do quite a few of them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello Richard,
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated :)
What is the diff between the match grade and standard. Tighter tollerances?
If I happen to go with the match grade, where would the sandpaper be used.
Jerry
Hi Jerry, most all parts labeled "match" are slightly oversize to were some fitting is required. Any part that is labeled "drop in" should fit with no to minimal fitting. Remember that one of the desirable attributes of the 1911 is that parts are interchangeable between weapons. Of course the barrel headspace and lockup are fitted, but very few other parts. Note that sometimes too closely fitted match parts may make the weapon unreliable.

Worst case on a drop in bushing will be the need to remove a couple of thousands off the interior of the bushing for proper barrel to bushing clearance.

Regards,
Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts