Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the barrel band really make your 10/22 less acurate?

Thanks for your response!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am planning to try my old 10/22 without barrel band and a cheap free float/bedding rig tomorrow. I will see how it shoots.

Check this website out:

http://www.backcountryjournal.com/ruger.htm

Scroll down to the suggestion about sanding barrel channel and removing band.

It's not a "professional" site, but it has a lot of 10/22 owner's opinions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The barrel band may or may not hurt.It depends on YOUR rifle.Its the same as a pressure point may or may not help on a free floated barrel.More often then not,pressure points & bands hurt accuracy.Usually when they help its because its counteracting others things wrong.The band will affect harmonic vibrations and cause erratic patterns.The only way to be sure with YOUR rifle is to shoot it both ways.Same day,same ammo,same finger on the trigger.Lets us know your results.:sniper:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I'm going to find the ammo my new syn. SS 10/22 likes, then remove the band, and free float the barrel, and bed the stock. I will document each action, and post when I've finished. Then when I get my new bull barrel, and laminate stock I will do it again to determine average group improvement of modified to stock 10/22. So much fun so little time!!!:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I installed a BC CF standard diameter barrel on my laminated 10/22. I tried it with and without the barrel band and got the best groups with the barrel band.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Just a note, My 10/22 carbine has the band, my 10/22 rifle does not have a band. I have not comparied them for accuracy yet, only a velocity check. I am wondering if the torque of the band screw would change the barrel harmonics? It looks like it could.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If its making contact with the barrel(which it is suppose to),then yes.It will change the harmonics.:sniper:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts