Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think Mini 14's would be included in probable forthcoming gun control bill? If we already own one would they take it away? What do you think is a likely scenario? Smaller mags only? What say you

·
Registered
129 Posts
Likely all magazine feed semi-auto long guns would be band. Confiscation highly unlikely. Congress wants to be re-elected. Plus we'd literally have a civil war.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Speaking (okay - writing) as an LEO, it'd be an impossible task to sieze all weapons. I'm not sure where all the fervor over the government siezing guns comes from, it's a completely unrealistic fear with no way of being implemented. Now, can new sales be banned? Sure. Can mag capacity be regulated? Sure. That's stuff that's easily enforceable and far more realistic. There just isn't the social or political motivation to do any seizures, nor is there any way to conduct them. Besides - who would be doing the siezing? You know many cops? We ALL own guns and most enjoy shooting them... We're not real enthusiastic about that prospect.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Speaking (okay - writing) as an LEO, it'd be an impossible task to sieze all weapons. I'm not sure where all the fervor over the government siezing guns comes from, it's a completely unrealistic fear with no way of being implemented. Now, can new sales be banned? Sure. Can mag capacity be regulated? Sure. That's stuff that's easily enforceable and far more realistic. There just isn't the social or political motivation to do any seizures, nor is there any way to conduct them. Besides - who would be doing the siezing? You know many cops? We ALL own guns and most enjoy shooting them... We're not real enthusiastic about that prospect.
Thanks for your informative insight

I would doubt there would be many in the military or law enforcement that would have the stomach to seize weapons from their family members, neighbors and other law abiding American. I would suspect most would engage in "civil disobedience"

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
If guns are scape goated for these shootings and Congress does manage to actually act it would most likely be the re-instatement of the Clinton assault weapons ban with a few added items if they feel they can sneak those through.

There are some people that have been on the trail of prescription pharmaceuticals as a major contributor in causing people to flip out and do these things. It is rumored that Lanza was on something since he was being treated by a psychiatrist but we may never know what it was. His uncle mentioned a very controversial and highly dangerous prescription drug called fanapt but we don't know and may never know. By the time Loughner did what he did the lawyers had wised up and are having the medical records sealed in these cases now. Even Hassan(Ft Hood shooter) was likely taking psych meds since he was a psychiatrist and they are allowed to self prescribe.

It might help push for a med investigation connection to all these events if the NRA would get their foots out of their respective mouths and speak up on it. On the other hand, they might be just accused of trying to shift blame though.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
There will not be legislation since all bills originate in the house, and its a Republican house... Even though Bonehead is speaker..

There would only be executive order or some crap from DOJ. Obama passed it on to crazy Uncle Joe so he can take the crap when nothing gets done.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Do you think Mini 14's would be included in probable forthcoming gun control bill? If we already own one would they take it away? What do you think is a likely scenario? Smaller mags only? What say you
Diane Frankinstien from California is writing the bill. Its modeled after Californias law. So I highly doubt the mini will be on it

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
IF a bill does get passed, I don't think the Mini is "evil" enough to be included.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My understanding of what she said on Meet Depress was: No semi-autos with detachable mags and no sale, transfer, purchase, and no legal ownership of said guns.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
FROM Feinstein's Website

December 17, 2012
Feinstein to Introduce Updated Assault Weapons Bill in New Congress
Stops sale of more than 100 assault weapons; protects gun owners by exempting more than 900 specific hunting and sporting weapons

Washington-Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), author of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban that expired in 2004, announced on Sunday that she will introduce updated legislation early next year.

"On the first day of the new Congress, I intend to introduce a bill stopping the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of assault weapons as well as large ammunition magazines, strips and drums that hold more than 10 rounds," Feinstein said. "I am in the process of gathering support for the bill in the Senate and House."

"I have been working with my staff for over a year on this legislation," Feinstein added. "It will be carefully focused on the most dangerous guns that have killed so many people over the years while protecting the rights of gun owners by exempting hundreds of weapons that fall outside the bill's scope. We must take these dangerous weapons of war off our streets."

A Justice Department study found the Assault Weapons Ban was responsible for a 6.7 percent decline in total gun murders. However, since the 2004 expiration of the bill, assault weapons have been used in at least 459 incidents, resulting in 385 deaths and 455 injuries.

A summary of key provisions in the updated bill:

Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of large-capacity ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips and drums) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;

exempting more than 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting and sporting purposes; and
exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I wonder how many "assault weapons" and higher than 10 capacity mags have been bought by people since Obama became president. More than a couple. Also, with the ban, privateers who have bought bunches of them will score huge profits by selling them privately to other people who now think they should have one.

Passing that bill in January is like not shutting the barn door and the horses have already left anyways. It is nothing more than politicing on the dead bodies of all those who have been killed.

The mini 14 will probably make this ban because you can put higher capacity detachable mag's on it, it is a semi-auto and it shoots that devil .223/5.56 AR round.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, if i already own my mini 14 and 10/22, then i am grandfathered and able to legally possess said weapons, correct, if i am reading this correctly?

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Assuming you legally possess said firearms, yes.

How likely do you all think it is that Feinstein's bill gets enacted?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
honestly, i think there is a good chance. Hopefully it won't make it through the house, crossing my fingers

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It may not be the bill Feinstein wrote or had written but I believe they are going to do something just to say that they are doing something about the problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If it's a matter of detachable mags then you guys had better get acquainted with the bullet button us Californians are forced to use.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts