Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what i should have ask should i send to the prescott, az address or the new hampshire thanks for any advise

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What is wrong with it if you don't mind me asking either? Some of those mags are super tight and don't cycle well until they are emptied and loaded at least 3-4 times. One of my 30 rnd mags wouldn't allow me to insert the mag with the bolt closed and it would dent the top round. After a few cycles at the range (a few failures to feed too) it loosened up and has worked great since then.

Also where did you buy it? You might consider returning it to the retailer, depending on their policy. They might make good on it faster saving you the trouble and time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What is wrong with it if you don't mind me asking either? Some of those mags are super tight and don't cycle well until they are emptied and loaded at least 3-4 times. One of my 30 rnd mags wouldn't allow me to insert the mag with the bolt closed and it would dent the top round. After a few cycles at the range (a few failures to feed too) it loosened up and has worked great since then.

Also where did you buy it? You might consider returning it to the retailer, depending on their policy. They might make good on it faster saving you the trouble and time.
I have 2 john masen 30 rd mini14 and 2 ruger 30, All dent the top round and are a bear to load with the bolt closed, i dont even bother unless its open. All fire consistently good.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Huh, I was under the impression you had Ruger 30 rd mags but what you described is not really a faulty mag. It is merely a strong mag spring (which is typical in 30 rounders), try to leave them fully loaded for a while and this will soften the spring. It is funny because not long ago a guy started a thread about problems that could arise from leaving your mags fully loaded for a long period of time, and expressed the opposite concern about making the springs too soft. I guess if it isn't one thing it's another. But anyways 30 rds is a lot of pressure on a long spring and I personally have gone to the 20 rounders which all function perfectly. They are easy to load, can be inserted with a closed bolt, and all cycle flawlessly. I use my two 30's at the range where they want you to keep the bolt open when you are not firing anyways. So my solution for you is to get Ruger 20 round mags and you will be happy. The 30s rattle around too much, are tougher and longer to load, and to me don't have the aesthetic look of the 20's. Go to Hoffman's Gun where you will find 20 rnd Ruger genuine mags for $19.95, you can't go wrong for that price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the problem is the follower gets in a bind after 12-15 rds and is almost impossible to load any more. i think the follower is bad or the mag body i cant see any problems with the mag body. i bought it at the birmingham gun show yesterday still in ruger package.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
As stated, Ruger will replace it quickly for you. Their customer service is excellent. Call this number: (603) 865-2442

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Not being to load a full mag when the bolt is closed is not a big problem. I have heard several reports of this same problem, in other threads regarding the 30 rnd mags. I don't think they are defective, and having them replaced will only waste his time and leave him with the same/similar problem. Hang on to em and use them regularly at the range or in the woods, buy some 20 rnd mags which you probably need anyways (I have six 20's and two 30s) and you'll be happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts