Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the unrest happening lately, and considering the "diversity" of my neighborhood increasing exponentially the past 20 years, I have reverted to carrying my Charter Arms .44 Spl. DAO Bulldog Pug ( spurless hammer & 2" bbl.) in my back pocket when not at work (as opposed to my Ruger LCP .380) for about a week now.....as backup to my Sig Ultra Compact 1911 on my hip.

I still carry the LCP w/my PMs blessing when total concealment is required, but a .44 spl. hollow point will provide STOPPING POWER that a .380 HP just can't touch.
( i've blown a treated 4"x 4" post in HALF with 1 shot of .44 spl.)

It was said best in the movie "Unforgiven" during the loading scene before entering the saloon to arrest Clint Eastwood.......
" Dammit Clyde, you got 3 guns & only 1 arm for Christs sake "
" Lets just say I don't wanna' die for a lack of shootin' back "

Has the Coronapanic-2020 and/or the Civil Unrest we're seeing now caused anyone ELSE to reconsider what they EDC ??

Be Safe
Be Vigilant
Protect the Innocent
Head on a Swivel

```````````````````````````````````````````

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only problem I have is my Keltec has worn holes in two pairs of my Levi's pockets. I guess I will need a pocket holster to save the cloth some wear. So far my handkerchief does not pad the exterior back pocket material from tractor seat wear.
99% of the time i'm in employer supplied Dickies heavy carpenters jeans, and use a full sized bandanna in my gun pocket.
my Case XX (full sized) Sodbuster wears holes in my pockets faster than my guns do......:lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yep, here on the farm, 99% of the time when outside, I am in or on a vehicle and have a small auto in my back pocket. It is about the only way to keep a gun fairly clean from dirt and dust. Bushhog / mower throws everything forward and the engine cooling fan throws everything back, the crud cloud meets about at the seat. Nothing keeps a rifle remotely clean and nothing keeps a handgun clean except a pants pocket. I do have a front pocket holster for my Para Ord LDA but the LDA is a heavy beast compared to the little polymer gun. Hum; Perhaps I can get Mountain Rose Leather to build me a reduced size Keltec pocket holster based on the LDA holster. Something that fits the back pocket like a flat wallet. I would imagine the trigger hole would put it into a class like the Hi Standard derringer holster that ATF does not like.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Sticky might work but to actually tell I would need to check the fit in person. Appreciate the info. But I do carry a leather fold wallet so know that is something that might work. The leather style holster should hide the outline if not fitted to the Keltec.

·
Registered
271 Posts
We live in a rural area, with three small towns within 20 miles, all less than 2,000 people.
In other words, this is not Chicago or Baltimore.

I feel no need for a big bulky high capacity auto on my belt, and with no butt to hold up my pants that much weight would drag them right down.

I have three pocket carries. My first bought was a Taurus 605 snub .357 magnum. Next came a 44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog DAO. Last was a Ruger LCP2 .380.
I feel comfortable with them all, but really, really like the Bulldog. CA now makes the same thing in 45 ACP called the Pit Bull. If I had discretionary cash I'd get one.

·
Banned
8,598 Posts
I've got one of the CA Bulldogs that I purchased the DAO hammer for, love the little cannon.
Honestly rice paddy, there's not much difference between the 44 Special and the 45 ACP ballistic-wise, unless you're loading your own.

I have a warning regarding the CA Pit Bulls.
I purchased one used a few years back in 40 S&W, because I was curious about their spring retention system that allows the revolver to fire ACP rimless rounds without using moon clips.
Nifty set up that actually works, but beware.
We all know that our motor skills are going to go to crap with an adrenaline dump which typically will occur when you need to use a weapon in self defense, regardless of the amount of training we do to counter it happening.
It is extremely easy to allow a round or empty case, to slip past the ejection star and those retention springs if you're not paying attention to the angle that you're cradling the baby at... and it's not always easy to get it ejected from under the star once that happens.
Love the concept, admire their design, but wouldn't recommend carrying for self defense for myself or most anyone that I know... but there are exceptions out there I guess.
Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack, just an FYI that I feel is important. :)

Pop, nothing has changed for me.
I've been carrying a 6 shot Kimber K6 3" with a compact grip, in a Kangaroo shoulder rig under a button up shirt since I retired the Ruger SP101 in .327 from duty near a couple of years ago, with one speed strip reload in my right front pocket.
Before that it was a Ruger SP101 in .357, and occasionally the Pug when I wanted a break from the weight.
I don't feel under gunned or vulnerable at all... maybe I should the way that things are going. ;)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have a 3" Charter Bulldog as one of my carry pieces. I load a 200 grain Gold Dot at 875 fps, or use Winchester 200 grain Silvertip. My first LEO off duty gun in 1976 was a 3" Charter Bulldog. I did not have one for years, but picked this up when it came in on consignment to the LGS where I work part time. Love it. Have a high rise pancake I where it in under an untucked Carhartt T shirt. I have a speed strip with 6 extra rounds in my pocket. 11 rounds of .44 caliber whoop a$$!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My two main carry guns are the Charter 44 Bulldog and a Smith & Wesson Shield .40. I also have my trusty Glock 19 I have had since it was my duty weapon in 1994. The Glock is too big for EDC. The Shield is the most compact, sometimes just slipped in my pocket instead of its Milt Sparks "Summer Special" IWB. The Charter in its high rise pancake, is the most comfortable to carry, however, especially on long car trips. It doesn't dig into my side like the Shield when I am riding in a car.

Any of the three will be a decisive fight stopper.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
back to carrying my '75 shopkeeper....slicked down & worked for quickdraw fanning.......point & shoot.....never misses

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I carry my Makarov more lately in the large pocket of my vest and have added a larger spray can of supposedly more potent CS. as always my Beretta .32. handload JHP chambered the rounds in the mag FMJ, same as my Mak. and a flip blade 4" tanto to boot. I carry these when I have to go to the larger towns nearby, my neighborhood and places I visit are relatively safe but I've always got the spray, knife and the .32 Beretta with me.
I don't 'feel vulnerable' at all - but then I don't go looking for trouble.

·
Draw, Varmint!
796 Posts
My favorite handgun is the one I almost never carry. Here it is:

S&W Model 686, 357 Magnum. Worked action, & Hogue Custom Monogrip. w/ Del Fatti holster & Safariland Comp II speedloaders.

However, after having acquired some real world street experience with the utterly godless denizens of today's America, this is what I've carried now for the past 18 years:

Glock Model 21, 45 ACP. 12 rounds + 15 more in an Arredondo magazine. Bar-Sto barrel. Worked Action, & Hogue Handall, w/ Blade-Tech Custom Kydex holster & carrier.

Frankly, I think people who carry 32's and 380's for protection and self-defense are JUST PLAIN STUPID. I got over things like: sucking my thumb for security, making dumb equipment choices, and carrying a 'pacifier pistol' of my own right after my wife and I somehow managed to survive a totally unexpected violent attack on the night of our 26th wedding anniversary! (We, almost, didn't have a 27th!)

The next morning—still shaken, but a heck of a lot wiser—I promised myself that nothing else as bad as that night would ever happen to us again; and, even though there have been several other occasions inside of the declining neighborhood in which we live, happily, so far it hasn't!

Reactions: Rockys Pop

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I've carried my .32 at pool parties, no one the wiser. and I've got larger size - and bore - handguns that I could - and have carried when fully dressed no one the wiser. However I opt for my Makarov and spare 8 round mag with .32 back-up now for anything short of absolutely knowing I'm heading for a gunfight - handguns only allowed. Then I'll opt for my handguns designed solely for fighting. Thankfully that possibility has not presented itself.
This outlook has got me by for the adult years of my 71 journeys around the big light above and will suffice for the rest of my allotted time on this agricultural experiment. One thing I haven't been proven to be is stupid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts